Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Nice '92 164S - Needs new engine - Advice

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  164arealalfatoo 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've had my 1992 164S since it was nearly new, we spent a wonderful 210K miles together, I'm religious about maintenance as related to safety and performance. Cosmetically it's still very nice (black/black) and drives great.

Unfortunately, I suffered a major engine failure last week. I haven't taken a deep dive into it yet, but I suspect I have at least damaged rod bearings, possible piston/ring damage, perhaps some funny business on the head, all of which appear to have been ignited by a failed oil pump. In any case, it probably needs an expensive repair or a new engine. It just failed smog last month and probably was getting tired anyway.

While I love this car, I've been thinking about something newer and more user-friendly as I aged 15 years since I bought it...seems like it's time to move along. What is the general opinion of the group about what to do with it? The car is located in Pleasanton, CA (in the Bay Area), parked by my office where I drove it just before a long trip overseas, I'm still away.

I suppose I would glady give it away to a good home if I new it would be cared for or at least used to bring other 164s or Alfas to life.

-ahmet

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds worthy of a biography! That seems like an 'intergalactic' mileage (as the English say). What a history... Shame it had to end in such a failure "out of left field"! :(

If prices/availability are anything like they are here in NZ, it would be much more cost-effective to replace the engine complete, keeping your gearbox etc. which I assume must be a well-known quantity for you and well-maintained. A second-hand engine is worth the equivalent of US$500-$1000 around here. Some people spend that on routine servicing of newer cars, so I don't think this is necessarily the economic end-of-the-road for your 164. I also think that the 'S' parts (intake runners, cams, IIRC) could be transferred from yours to an 'L'/'B' replacement.

This engine replacement would be a good father-son (or father-daughter) project I would imagine (I'm not a father...) Otherwise I think it's very noble to give it to a fellow Alfisti who I'm sure would enjoy the project. It would be fair to expect them to assume all transportation/collection costs and I expect it's also costing money to have parked-up?

It's a pity you can't replace it with a 166, as that would be fitting for the loyalty you've shown to the Alfa Romeo over the years. I can't imagine keeping a car for fifteen years. I'm up to four with the Uno Turbo and that's my longest yet...

Anyway, best wishes,
-Alex

#3 ·
If you are thinking of selling it, definately post it in the for sale/wanted section of this forum, I am sure somebody will give it a good home. I am coming up on 200,000 on my L, a bit scared, but I think it will make it to 225K with no problems. Wish you were going to fix it, but I can understand wanting to move on.

#5 ·
And you're pretty close to Tracy, where Alfa Parts Exchange is located now, so you _could_ consider buying an S engine from them and installing it. You might complete the engine swap for under $2k through transport and installation bits and pieces (engine purchase, travel to/from, miscellaneous bits and hoses, oil and coolant, etc), with another few days of labor. Rent or borrow a hoist, etc. Time consuming. My son and I have been refitting his S engine into another S (purchased with a seized engine), but that process has been stalled because he's started a new job and it's been taking pretty much all of his energy to come up to speed working long summer hours.

Sean is already close to you with recent engine rebuilding experience. My son had a black '92S like yours, and I'd bought another '92S (red) for my wife. I thought they'd have sister cars, but before I got the red one's engine re-done my son's car ended up in a ditch totalled (lost while dodging road debris on a frozen winter night). His replacement car is a red '91S, so he and the wife will have more-matching colors. "Arrest Me Red" isn't quite what I'd have picked in a sane moment, but that's what they will both have. Maybe it will help them both keep their pedal feet off the floorboard, though.

Michael

#7 ·
Because I put some relevant info in it, here is another post asking about engine rebuilding

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=46151

My wife's S engine, including shop fees for heads and block cleanup/check but exclusive of the hoist I bought for the job, pushed pretty close to $2k direct cost plus my time, including all the bits and pieces and cleaners and sealants and so forth. I was amazed. But I expect to have a high-quality, very long-lived engine out of the deal. That's what I _expect_.

#8 ·
When my engine took a turn for the worst, I called APE, but they had no used S engines. I asked about L engines and they said about $2500 - $4000 with around 100k. I'm not bashing them or anything, but I just couldn't afford that not to mention to make it S spec, it would cost a lot more. I found an already rebuilt S spec block on ebay for a pretty decent price. Now, to find some cores that are hopefully local...

#9 ·
For reference, just now you might take a look at this (in your neighborhood, too):

Dorris Auto Wreckers, Inc. USA-CA(Hayward) E-mail 1-510-782-4393/1-510-782-4394 seem to have a 1993 67k mile Auto tranny engine from a 164L for $1k. You might need to swap flywheels. It's not an S, but all you need are the heads and pistons to swap. Or Remeca Auto Salvage in the Tampa, FL, area seems to have a 125k mile S engine for $500 plus shipping to you. You never know....

Just trying to help.

Michael

#10 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestıons.

I havent been able to vıew the BB sınce my orıgınal post but I wanted to thank you all for the suggestıons, I will be back in the states in another 10 days or so and will probably hook up with Sean for his project.

-ahmet

#11 ·
Wow, used 3.0 164 engines for $2500-4000. That is the bottom end of the price range for a rebuilt engine. A used engine unless you can test for compression and possibly leak down is a unknown. Figure out what is wrong with your S first, before you jump to the conclusion that you need a new motor.

#12 ·
I can't believe the figures you are talking about!

How much to ship a car from England?

I have a 1990 3litre 12 v super lusso. I am about to scrap it for about £30 despite having a good engine and a few hundred £'s worth of new parts on it. It is un economical to repair here, all it needs is a bit of work on the rear suspension, costing £400, as much as the car is worth here. I can't even sell or give it away!!

I can get the engine serviced overhauled and rebuilt for not too much money, how much to ship it out somewhere it is worth some money?

I know all the old pick-up trucks and Mercs go to Africa, and beyond, maybe the old Alfas need to go to the USA and NZ?

#13 ·
You have to be aware that used car prices are driven entirely by demand. Used equipment, in the presence of new equipment that people would rather buy, depreciates to scrap value pretty fast. There is still more demand here in the States (and in NZ, too, from what I see) for Alfas than there is demand for their scrap metal. The problem is that it costs large money to ship things intact across the various Oceans. I've heard that from Europe to the US East Coast costs roughly a thousand pounds Sterling. Then for a useful vehicle you have to add up the various import requirements of external lighting changes and documentation. It rapidly gets ridiculous. But find a nice, well-sorted 1995 164Q4 and get it over here and maybe you could sell it at a profit. If I'm ever working over in Europe for long enough to make such arrangements in my off time....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.