Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have an '89 Quad like this one:

eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo : Spider (item 200173063917 end time Nov-18-07 18:00:00 PST)

I try to pay attention to what the market is doing. This one looks particularly nice, low miles and if you could get it for around $11-12,000, not a bad deal IMHO. Mine's red with 60,000 miles in nice condition, about a 3+, 2-, something like that. Since I bought it, I'm in it $8500, and it still needs cat, O2 sensor, and steering box, so I feel pretty good about it.

Question: the guy selling this on ebay says it is one of 230 Quads built that year. Anyone have any info on that? Not that it makes '89 Quads particularly collectible, but I'm surprised at that low number. Anyone have Fusi-like material to share?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
According to Cris Rees', "ORIGINAL ALFA ROMEO SPIDER" in 89 there were 1394 USA Series 3 AERODINAMICA Spider 2000 models produced. Aerodinamica is the skirted Quad version.

World Upholstery literature States that from 85 to 89 there were 2594 USA Quads made.

The seller is a bit optimistic on the rarity of the 89 Quad, methinks.

Elio

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, Elio. Your info makes more sense

I bought mine because it was at auction here, in outstanding condition, and, because few others around here know about Alfas, the price: $6600. Since then, I have replaced the water pump and hoses and a defective head gasket. I just drive it and enjoy it, which is why I bought it any away.

·
Banned
129 Posts
According to Cris Rees', "ORIGINAL ALFA ROMEO SPIDER" in 89 there were 1394 USA Series 3 AERODINAMICA Spider 2000 models produced. Aerodinamica is the skirted Quad version.

World Upholstery literature States that from 85 to 89 there were 2594 USA Quads made.

The seller is a bit optimistic on the rarity of the 89 Quad, methinks.

Elio
Not at all sure I agree with your interpretation of the term "AERODINAMICA", and thus the count of USA Quad's in any particular model year. My understanding is that all series 3's (worldwide) are covered by that term, not just the Quad's, but of course, I could be wrong. We didn't use the term here in the states, but most of the other markets did.

Does Rees offer any count of all USA S3 Spiders of a particular year, inclusive or exclusive of the Quad's? That would help to clear things up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Before purchasing my Quad, I did a lot of research from vrs sources. I recall that somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 quads (approx) were built. The majority of which ended up here in the States. Not sure where the 230 comes from - I suspect he is looking for a "hook" to set his car apart from the others.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts