Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fully priced that's for sure, but about as nice as I've seen in pictures. I do love tan interior with the red.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first post here!

I went and drove this car last week. I'm afraid I'm now smitten with these cars and I'm trying to figure out how to get one that isn't quite that pricey. It had a suppleness combined with a refined yet somehow raucous power delivery that is very enticing. And the sound! It's not perfect, but it's pretty dang nice. Was very clean and well kept. Let me see if I can remember some of the details:

Current owner got the car from the original owner and has had it for 2 years. Says he's only put 600 miles on it in that time. Seems like a car guy that's into european cars and plays around with them a bit.

AC belt squealed for a while when I started it. Might make me worry about bearings a little bit.

Airbag light stayed on.

There was a light missing on the dash when pressing the test button but I can't remember which exact one it was. Maybe 5 or 6 from the left end?

I couldn't figure out how to operate the vent controls as this was my first time in one of these cars. I wouldn't call the controls on the center console user friendly at all. But I have a Mini and they get dinged for the same thing so it's something to be gotten used to and appreciate as a character trait later on. Right? ;-) So I don't know if the stepper motor is good or not. The vent was blowing from the dash though so I guess that's a good sign.

Has 137k miles. Strange he doesn't mention that in the ad.

The original owner of the car was from Hong Kong. Apparently he changed the badge from 164 6o 168 for the reasons mentioned in the ad.

I didn't test the suspension settings. I guess it was in L mode while we were driving. He said you could really only feel the difference on the freeway. That struck me as a little odd and made me wonder if the system works properly.

Anyway, nice car. Too rich for me at the moment and I'd expect some of these issues mentioned above to be dealt with for that kind of $$. I'd guess it'll be available for a while to come unless he lowers the price which I don't think will happen. He's not in a hurry to sell it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My first post here!

I went and drove this car last week. I'm afraid I'm now smitten with these cars and I'm trying to figure out how to get one that isn't quite that pricey. It had a suppleness combined with a refined yet somehow raucous power delivery that is very enticing. And the sound! It's not perfect, but it's pretty dang nice. Was very clean and well kept. Let me see if I can remember some of the details:

Current owner got the car from the original owner and has had it for 2 years. Says he's only put 600 miles on it in that time. Seems like a car guy that's into european cars and plays around with them a bit.

AC belt squealed for a while when I started it. Might make me worry about bearings a little bit.

Airbag light stayed on.

There was a light missing on the dash when pressing the test button but I can't remember which exact one it was. Maybe 5 or 6 from the left end?

I couldn't figure out how to operate the vent controls as this was my first time in one of these cars. I wouldn't call the controls on the center console user friendly at all. But I have a Mini and they get dinged for the same thing so it's something to be gotten used to and appreciate as a character trait later on. Right? ;-) So I don't know if the stepper motor is good or not. The vent was blowing from the dash though so I guess that's a good sign.

Has 137k miles. Strange he doesn't mention that in the ad.

The original owner of the car was from Hong Kong. Apparently he changed the badge from 164 6o 168 for the reasons mentioned in the ad.

I didn't test the suspension settings. I guess it was in L mode while we were driving. He said you could really only feel the difference on the freeway. That struck me as a little odd and made me wonder if the system works properly.

Anyway, nice car. Too rich for me at the moment and I'd expect some of these issues mentioned above to be dealt with for that kind of $$. I'd guess it'll be available for a while to come unless he lowers the price which I don't think will happen. He's not in a hurry to sell it.
Thanks for the input, miles are a bit high for the price in my opinion. If everything else worked as it should I would price this 164 at $6500 maybe due to mileage. There was a mint 93 with, if I recall 40,000 miles for around the same price in PA about 8 to 10 months ago.

Decent drivers start around $3500 but may need another grand or two and good ones that are well sorted and should not need anything around $5000 starting.

Of course there's always the lucky buy out there.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Welcome to the BB. They are really great cars. I'm sure you will love it when you get one:)
Sounds like this one is way over priced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the BB. They are really great cars. I'm sure you will love it when you get one:)
Sounds like this one is way over priced.

Thanks. There's a salvage one in Costa Mesa that I'm going to look at on Wednesday. It's a 94. Guy's asking $2k. If it's really well sorted and doesn't have any serious salvage issues I may grab it.

There's also a "parts only" 91S not far from me. Only 66k miles. Might be worth getting ($750) and restoring but it really depends on how much is wrong with it. I'm not afraid of a project car and these 164's look like something one could really sink teeth into.

BTW, what's the deal with the adjustable steering wheels on these cars? Common feature? Or random? The subject car of this thread didn't have any adjustment lever that I could find.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. There's a salvage one in Costa Mesa that I'm going to look at on Wednesday. It's a 94. Guy's asking $2k. If it's really well sorted and doesn't have any serious salvage issues I may grab it.

There's also a "parts only" 91S not far from me. Only 66k miles. Might be worth getting ($750) and restoring but it really depends on how much is wrong with it. I'm not afraid of a project car and these 164's look like something one could really sink teeth into.

BTW, what's the deal with the adjustable steering wheels on these cars? Common feature? Or random? The subject car of this thread didn't have any adjustment lever that I could find.
That's the one I was going to look at. I think he lives in Fountain Valley but keeps it in Costa Mesa. It looks nice, I just got lazy and never went up there. Let me know how it is. I'm wondering what was done to it to make it salvage?

The parts car may be worth it for the motor and trans and such. Offer less, like $450. Cash and a tow truck talk :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's the one I was going to look at. I think he lives in Fountain Valley but keeps it in Costa Mesa. It looks nice, I just got lazy and never went up there. Let me know how it is. I'm wondering what was done to it to make it salvage?

The parts car may be worth it for the motor and trans and such. Offer less, like $450. Cash and a tow truck talk :)
I'll report back. The guy has been a nightmare to communicate with. Really random and short email replies. Grrr.

The parts car has the same seats that were in the car at the top of this thread. I really thought those were amazing seats. Need some cleaning, but might be worth it for that. Any idea if they'll drop into the 94?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Keep in mind the 1991-1993 have a different engine that 1994-1995. Not readily interchangeable.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...I couldn't figure out how to operate the vent controls as this was my first time in one of these cars...
This is quite common, I had the same trouble. When the system is OFF you have to press the OFF button to turn it ON

...BTW, what's the deal with the adjustable steering wheels on these cars? Common feature? Or random? The subject car of this thread didn't have any adjustment lever that I could find....
There is a lever buried up there, took me about a month to find it. Not really worth the effort as the adjustment is very minimal, maybe an inch one way or the other.

Although a bit high I don't think the red car is way over priced necessarily. It depends on a number of things and there are a number of other things to consider. I bought my first 91 164S for $3k. It needed all new belts and hoses, plugs, harness, distributor cap and rotor, timing chain tensioner, water pump, idler bearings, tires, windshield, a couple of door handles, fog light, stepper motor, RF fender liner, ball joints, strut bearings and boots, battery hold down, headliner fabric, sunroof console, heater core, catalytic converter and a rear tow hook cover. There are probably a few things I'm forgetting but that's most of it and I still haven't gotten around to getting the airbag light to stay off.

So, even with all labor being "free" as I did all of the work myself I've probably put a bit over $6k total into it and I think that's what you're going to end up paying for a well sorted daily driver, one way or another. There are two major cosmetic items to consider as well and that is exterior paint and upholstery. They appear to be in very good condition on the red car and those are two things that would be very expensive to replicate.

I did buy a second 91 164S a month after purchasing the first one and I got it for $1000. It also needed a windshield, fog lights and tires and probably should get new hoses and belts and such but I haven't gotten around to that yet. That however was an anomaly, I just happened to fall into it, it was on Craigs List and only a few blocks from my house. The owner had owned it for quite some time and liked it but had a bad knee and nobody else in his family could drive a stick shift so he just wanted it out of the driveway and I showed up with cash in hand. If I'd given him any time to think it over I probably never would have gotten that car.

As you already know they are great fun to drive and all of us here completely understand how you could become smitten with them. You're going to see plenty out there that look like real bargains but I think my assessment is based on reality and assuming you can do all of your own work a figure of $6K + or - a grand is probably what you're going to end up looking at in the end to get a decent one.

Good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well in a fit of aurally induced insanity I ended up buying the salvage black 94 164LS. It sounded great and ran really well and I think I got a decent deal.

Well I finally got a chance to really go over it today and boy did I step in it. The list of things I want to take care of is long and deep. Having a hard time not feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Sheesh. What have I done? :eek:

The power steering rack is a mess.
It's leaking coolant from up near the reservoir.
Needs a drivers window regulator.
The clutch slave is a mess.
The LCD screen needs to be repaired (of course).
The suspension makes all kinds of mildly alarming noises.
The paint work is a mess. Looks like it had a $200 paint job. I plan to do up the body work and get it sprayed by a friend who does super high level restoration, but it's going to be a ton of work. I'm ok with that and kind of looking forward to having something to really be proud of.
It looks like there are some vacuum hoses not connected to anything above the brake master. The cruise doesn't work so maybe this is related to that?

Agh. I'm going to start a new thread. At least just for moral support.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well in a fit of aurally induced insanity I ended up buying the salvage black 94 164LS. It sounded great and ran really well and I think I got a decent deal.

Well I finally got a chance to really go over it today and boy did I step in it. The list of things I want to take care of is long and deep. Having a hard time not feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Sheesh. What have I done? :eek:

The power steering rack is a mess.
It's leaking coolant from up near the reservoir.
Needs a drivers window regulator.
The clutch slave is a mess.
The LCD screen needs to be repaired (of course).
The suspension makes all kinds of mildly alarming noises.
The paint work is a mess. Looks like it had a $200 paint job. I plan to do up the body work and get it sprayed by a friend who does super high level restoration, but it's going to be a ton of work. I'm ok with that and kind of looking forward to having something to really be proud of.
It looks like there are some vacuum hoses not connected to anything above the brake master. The cruise doesn't work so maybe this is related to that?

Agh. I'm going to start a new thread. At least just for moral support.
Way to bite the bullet! Wow, from the low res picks on CL it looked quite alright. Glad you're saving it from the crusher. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts