Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
My TwinSpark 16V needs a new set of spark plugs. At $20 per plug times eight, there's a lot of searching involved. I ran across a little oddity that might be of interest to you.

According to the NGK finder, the 3.0 V6 12V and the 3.0 V6 QV in the 164 and Milano use either a standard BP6ES plug, or alternatively a PGR6A Laser Platinum plug. The platinum plugs last for 60k miles (the PFR6B in the 24V is the same plug, but with a 16mm wrench size instead of 20.8mm on these).

I just found the Laser Platinum plugs on sale for $4.49. This may be well worth scooping up as the regular price on those is also somewhere between $12-20. As Alfissimo notes, they're however sold out.

The IFR6B Laser Iridium plugs are on sale for $4.20. The same as stock PFR6B, but with a finer Iridium tip to last 100k instead of 60k miles and fit all 164 V6.

I hope that it may be useful to you guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I see. Forget what I just said (unless they restock them). ;)

---

By the way, IFR6B also fit where PFR6B (or BKR6EKPA) is specified. They have an Iridium tip and last ~100k. Unless your car installs some obscure PMR7A with no alternative plug right next to it, that's also an option.

BKR6ERX-P should arrive in 2015 statesides as well, but except for a patent application from 2012 there is little known about Ruthenium electrodes outside of Japan.

If I interpret this correctly, then the Premium RX will last 4x as long as an Iridium IX and they're as good as new after 100k miles. Four times the 40-50k miles of an Iridium IX is a lifespan of 160-200k miles, which is quite impressive. It takes most people two different cars to drive that distance.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/products/sparkplugs/rx/&prev=search
Whatever those Japanese characters are supposed to mean.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just seen that they also have the IFR6B for the incredible price of $4.20 and you can actually order six of them.

Those are the same as BKR6EIX/BPR6EIX (larger wrench size) but in Laser Iridium with a platinum chip on the ground strap [or PFR6B/PGR6A but with an Iridium tip] to last 100k miles.

I'm not quite sure what's up with those prices, as even the Iridium IX cost nearly twice as much yet only lasts half as long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts