Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some NGK BPR7EIX plugs for my '72 Spider. This was the size listed for the car. The mechanic suggested going with a 6 instead of 7 because it would be hotter for the older car. When I plugged the 6 into the purchase page it keeps telling me this is not a plug for the Spider. Has anyone else used the BPR6EIX for a Spider?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
I have 7's in my Spider and 6's in my GTV6. My Spider will run on 8's but they will foul if the car is not driven hard. Try the 7's and only switch to 6's if you get plug fouling symptoms.

What was the verdict on your steering box and how was your experience with John Baucom?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He thought the steering box was fine and replaced the oil with grease. I still hear a click sound when steering (intermittent), but John does not hear anything.

Last item we are working through is a vibration at take off. It reminds me of u-joint issues I had on my old spider many many years ago. He thinks everything looks good, but will likely change the u-joints to see if it fixes it. Mainly a problem at take off - especially when the car is slightly uphill.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Last item we are working through is a vibration at take off. It reminds me of u-joint issues I had on my old spider many many years ago. He thinks everything looks good, but will likely change the u-joints to see if it fixes it. Mainly a problem at take off - especially when the car is slightly uphill.
That is a classic symptom of a weak rubber surround for the center support of the driveshaft. A very weak transmission bushing may also do it but it is less likely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts