Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I run the "6" in the same motor different body. Dual dellOrtos. No issues. ciao jc

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It depends on the condition of the motor and how you drive. B6ES plugs are hotter than B7ES. I run the latter in a modified 2L that gets revved to about 7 grand regularly. The motor is in superb condition, with a hot spark, and no leaking rings or valves.

If the motor were a bit worn, or if it were going to be driven sedately, as in poking around town, I'd run the B6ES plugs because they would burn off any soot more easily and would not foul as quickly. if my motor burned a bit of oil, I'd run the hotter plugs.

If I were going on a long, hot summer drive, I'd probably switch back to the 7s or maybe even 8s. This is just me, after roughly 50 years of Alfa ownership.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It depends on the condition of the motor and how you drive. B6ES plugs are hotter than B7ES. I run the latter in a hot 2L that gets revved to about 7 grand regularly. The motor is in superb condition, with a hot spark, and no leaking rings or valves.

If the motor were a bit worn, or if it were going to be driven sedately, as in poking around town, I'd run the B6ES plugs because they would burn off any soot more easily and would not foul as quickly. if my motor burned a bit of oil, I'd run the hotter plugs.

If I were going on a long, hot summer drive, I'd probably switch back to the 7s or maybe even 8s. This is just me, after roughly 50 years of Alfa ownership.
Gary,

Great advise.... thank you. What about gaps..... .025 is stock, but I have heard a few owners will go .030 if they have an electronic conversion. Comments ?

Thanks again,
Bob

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
BP7ES if you are going to run it hard. BP6ES if you are obeying traffic laws for the most part.

Projector electrode may protect against fouling and it may also give slightly better power. Problematic with oversize valves unless you index the plugs but with stock valves I'd go with BP instead of B.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Just to clarify, B7ES plugs do not have extended tips. I use them because my car has big valves and I like to use the engine's full power as often as possible. BP7ES plugs have tips that extend farther down into the head and, as noted above, and are best used only in stock cylinder heads.

As for using hotter or colder plugs, your driving style and the condition of your engine should be your guide, not one of us who don't know you or your car. If you use plugs that are too hot and drive hard, you could damage your engine. If you use plugs that are too cold, they will foul more easily at lower engine speeds, as in commute traffic. If you have a stock engine and don't drive it hard on really warm days, B6ES or BP6ES plugs are probably the way to go. If you sometimes push the engine a bit, you might start with B7ES or BP7ES plugs and see if they get dirty fast. If they do, take them out, wire brush them, put them on a shelf, and then install a set of hotter plugs.

Because I'm old and have the time, here's a related story: I once sold a turbocharged BMW with stick shift to a good friend. He later took it to our favorite mechanic, Ken, because the car was running rough. Ken found fouled plugs, but no cause for them to clog up, so he asked my friend (who shall remain nameless) to take him for a drive. The rest of the story has to do with Ken laughing hysterically as he described how my friend up-shifted from 1st to 5th in 5 mph increments.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
When choosing between the two, you can also take cylinders individually. In my example I ran B7ES and was getting fouling on only cylinder #3. I swapped this one out to a B6ES and now my plugs wear evenly and all last a very long time.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
I have mostly run BP6ES, extended tip, on various Alfas and Fiats, no fouling. In my experience normal Alfa engines are not super-sensitive to a mile heat range difference. I run a couple ranges colder on the track, again, no issues.
Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts