Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from here: Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

-

The Chrysler-Fiat disaster continues: a Fiat spokesman in Torino confirmed earlier today that the next generation Alfa GTV will be based on the Chrysler Crossfire platform. It will slot under the upcoming 4C as the entry-level coupe in Alfa’s lineup. It will be powered by a panoply of Alfa engines that are already in use and a diesel variant is also on the menu. A GTA version with the 8C Competizione’s engine is said to be in the works but will take more time to develop than the coupe. No images are available at this time but it’s safe to assume that the GTV will look significantly different than the Crossfire.

As shocking as this sounds, it’s hardly surprising when you look at Fiat’s future lineup. The new Lancia Thema will be based on the Chrysler 300, the Lancia Flavia will be based on the Chrysler 200, Lancia will get a version of the Chrysler Grand Voyager, the TZ3 might use a Viper platform and so on. It’s not the first time the Italians and the Americans collaborate on a car: let us not forget the Chrysler TC by Maserati, among others.

With that said, it’s interesting to note that the Crossfire shares 80% of its parts with Mercedes-Benz products, including its R170 platform that was used on the last generation SLK, making it more of a Mercedes than a Chrysler. It’s the kind of hybrid that’s possible today because brands work together on a global level but would have been unimaginable 30 years ago: try to picture an Alfetta riding on a R107 SL platform.

The GTV will be imported in the U.S. when it launches in 2013 but the diesel variant will likely stay in Europe. Stay tuned for more information and photos as they become available.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That was my 1st thought

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Check the source at the bottom of the original article....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, though with all that's going on between Fiat and Chrysler it could have been credible, wouldn't surprise me.

But yes, it's an April Fool's joke :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Frankly, I'm hoping someone back in Milan reads this and thinks "Hey, wait a minute..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts