Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I think that this is the nicest venue with the nicest cars (Always a spectacular Ferrari selection) among the huge SoCal Concours scene. This year it is even at a better location: The St. Regis Hotel (Probably on their golf course) in Dana Point.

Since it is a stonethrow from where I live, I will probably enter the Lancia this year.

·
9,929 Posts
Well, it's in my backyard too, so I spent a little time cruising their website

I dunno - it seemed sort of, well, snobby. Has anyone done this one before? Are cars welcome that aren't Dusenbergs or California Spiders - you know, like Alfa Romeos? At least from the website, Newport seemed to be more about fund raising and being seen with the swell set, than about hard-core car guys getting together and swapping lies. But, hey, if there's an Alfa contingent going, I could be convinced to put on an ascot and white shoes.

Also, the Newport Concours is the same weekend as the Coronado Vintage races. If you've never been to Coronado, let me recommend it. Organized by Steve Earle, it's sports car racing on a military airstrip, the way they used to do it in the 1950's. It's like a scaled-down Monterey Historics without the crowds.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well, it's in my backyard too, so I spent a little time cruising their website

I dunno - it seemed sort of, well, snobby. Has anyone done this one before? Are cars welcome that aren't Dusenbergs or California Spiders - you know, like Alfa Romeos? At least from the website, Newport seemed to be more about fund raising and being seen with the swell set, than about hard-core car guys getting together and swapping lies. But, hey, if there's an Alfa contingent going, I could be convinced to put on an ascot and white shoes.

Also, the Newport Concours is the same weekend as the Coronado Vintage races. If you've never been to Coronado, let me recommend it. Organized by Steve Earle, it's sports car racing on a military airstrip, the way they used to do it in the 1950's. It's like a scaled-down Monterey Historics without the crowds.
Jay,

Havin been myself several years ago, I would say that it's far more Pebble Beach than Huntington Beach's car show, for example. However, there's far more post-war European than Pebble Beach.

I'd enter if I had a TZ, restored GTA, or similar. As it is, I'll just be another drooler...and root for Mike and any other BB-ers who enter :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Gotta love it. The Newport Beach Concours..........in Dana Point, the city many from Newport Beach thumb their noses at. The St. Regis is an elegant setting for a concours, a mini Pebble Beach setting. You can walk down the block to the Ritz Carlton on the bluff in Dana Point. Used to go every year when it was sponsored by The Playboy Club and Pantera at The Hyatt Newporter and at Pelican Hill. NB Concours...always a great event. Having said that, Alfajay is correct about Coronado. Also great event!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just sent in my entry form. Like many events, entering is much cheaper than going as a spectator, and has better parking. ;-) We will be there with my 66 gtv.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Peter is right that this show is a bit more upscale but I would not call it snobby. Cars range from completely original ones with tons of, ahem, patina to nice restored ones.

Type of cars also ranges widely, which is a good thing: There are always MGs, 911s, 356s, Fiat Dinos to more exotic/ expensive stuff. Mostly the Cars and Coffee guys bringing out one or two that we have not seen that often.

I enter the Lancia just for fun and to hang with the other guys. No chance in hell will it win anything - way too banged up.

And Jay, I will be more than happy to enter your Convertible D for you:)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think that we'll hit the Coronado vintage races instead. Best o' luck to those BBers who have entered at Newport. Please post some photos afterwards!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Photos? Awards?

Did anyone end up entering or spectating at the Newport Concours? Any photos of interesting Italian or other entries?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts