Alfa Romeo Forums banner

newer Alfas in the USA

11K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  sjmst 
#1 ·
I have a friend that frequents Mexico and he said he sees the new Alfas all the time down in Mexico city. I've really been trying to find an Alfa GT and have seen some for sale down there online at the ferrari dealerships. I would like to buy one and drive it back here to the USA. The only thing that I'm wondering is, how much will it need to be modified to get it street legal? What are the illegalities of it? I currently have a 2001 Jaguar XJR and I'm sure that is more polluting than the Alfa. I know some shops that do conversions to make foreign cars legal, I'm just wondering what would need to be done. Probably just safety standards? I know someone who bought a Renault Spyder and has it here in the states, and he's going to get it made legal pretty soon.

#45 · (Edited)
#46 ·
I don't get it...

Over here, i read The Rodders Journal. I love it, and the cars. Almost none of those cars will ever be road eligible in Europe, anywhere.
No fenders, home built, fabricated chassis. Things like that. or a poor four replaced by 900HP of blown big block on nitro.
Not crash tested, no emissions specs, no nothing. So no way....
I could import one, but never drive it...
So HOW in the name of Mary, mother of Christ, can you legally register something like that in the usa, but NOT a '97 spider?
Can't you mod the thing with all kinds of stuff, make it into what legally constitutes a hot rod, (say, it is a T ford that has been modded with a different body, interior, engine, wheels and suspension- just like any other hot rod?) and then change it back to stock AR spider again?
Does a totally reworked Willys with 600 cubes of blown Hemi not have to undergo any tests?
I really don't think I am getting the picture.....
Anyway, i think the 916 owner should get into contact with Hans subito!!!

#47 ·
The issue is importation. When it comes to customs it needs to be EPA and or DOT approved. Whereas a 1927 T bucket though highly modified is already titled in the U.S. Now many states will not allow a big block blower car to run on the highway, they are OK for city driving and such. Also many states have age limits for cars (say 25 years and newer) that are tested and ones that are licensed as "Historic" get a pass on emmisions and visual inspections.

#51 ·
Dont you people realize its not about safety or the environment, its all about the auto industry and market share. Once the car is 25 or older, its historic and safety and emmisions dont matter?? its all about protecting the auto sales industry and keeping manufacturing cost low for the US cars.

#48 ·
Seems to me if it was as easy as some of you think, we'd see a lot of late model Euro/Asian cars all over the place.

IMHO the big kicker is that if you did get the car in here on the shakey legal grounds like the title thing and registering with your insurance as a different car (Audi S4 vs. S3), you are opening yourself up to every abulance chaser in the country. Imagine if someone hit you in your 'legal car', and was injured. The other party's lawyer/insurance co (as well as your own insurance co) is going to make life difficult for you even if it isn't your fault. Welcome to the USA - Land of Lawyers.

#49 ·
IMHO the big kicker is that if you did get the car in here on the shakey legal grounds like the title thing and registering with your insurance as a different car (Audi S4 vs. S3), you are opening yourself up to every abulance chaser in the country. Imagine if someone hit you in your 'legal car', and was injured. The other party's lawyer/insurance co (as well as your own insurance co) is going to make life difficult for you even if it isn't your fault. Welcome to the USA - Land of Lawyers.
wow. you are a good predictor.

this just happened over the weekend at an Audi/VW GTG in Maryland. This is the S3 i was talking about....the owner got drunk, arrested, and now the car is probably gonna be destroyed!

#54 ·
Of course we realize what is going on!!!! We don't make legislation! I'm just informing people who have asked questions about importing a car and imparting the facts as they stand. The laws are what they are, I didn't make them!

#63 ·
Probably doesn't help, but since a certain date in the 90'ties all car in Europe have been crash tested for EU approval, probably in compliance with US test - lots of EU car makers export lots of car to US. All newer Alfas have tru the tests.
Will the US authorities recognise these approvals?
Erik

#65 ·
The problem is with the manufacture will not provide this info. Its like an un written agreement between all of them not to encourage a grey market. It hurts their dealers.

I believe the RI would have to provide a label or compliance letter that it has met the federal requirements, I am not sure about that. If crash test data is required for conformance, unless the manufacures provide, an approved independent tester can perform the tests.

From the DOT website:

Motor vehicle manufacturers are not required to submit to NHTSA, and do not submit to NHTSA, information on whether any particular vehicle they manufacture has been manufactured to comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety (and, where applicable, bumper and theft prevention) standards. Moreover, there is no way for NHTSA to discern, from the VIN that has been assigned to a vehicle, or from any other identifying characteristic, whether the vehicle was originally manufactured to comply with all applicable standards. The only way that NHTSA could tell whether a given vehicle has been so manufactured is if the manufacturer has affixed a label to the vehicle certifying its compliance with all applicable standards. If you are unable to find a certification label on a particular vehicle, and are interested in learning whether the vehicle was originally manufactured to comply with all applicable standards, you should contact the vehicle's manufacturer.

I personally like the part that states that the VIN number does not indicate compliance, gives hope.

#66 ·
But EuroNCAP crash test results, given in specifics and in a star rating are freely available. Are these acceptable in the US?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.