Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Go to the EPA web site and you can find out. To certify it for U.S. crash worthiness may run upwards of $30,000 or more. It also needs to meet current smog standards for the U.S. and the state you're registering it in. A non conforming vehicle needs to be imported by an ICI, Independant Certified Importer. They handle the importation and conversion and they deal with the EPA.

A number of years ago a friend of mine wanted one of those Mexican Beattles, I think it was an 89 or so and since they were no longer produced for the U.S. she had it registered in Mexico with a friend who lived there. She had Mexican plates and drove it for about five years before she sold it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
At this point they are coming but that could allways change. I have not heard anything about a Northstar engine though. The current V8 for the 8C is from Maserati and I don't see why that will change. The V6 is supposed to be new.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No because the DOT stamp and cert would not be there. And if you said it's DOT spec glass they will ask for test docs for the model you are claiming is DOT approved and you would not have the ICI papers and they will sieze your car or send it back to the import country.

Then they would kick you in the nuts and call you names! :) JK, the above is true however...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
As far as a kit car goes that would never fly since the local DMV would take one look at it and know that it's not one. Any imported kit still must go through customs and have proper documentation. The EPA or DOT website is pretty clear I'd have to check but maybe the yellow GTV Spider in the NW is a newer model that came through Canada. There are vehicles that are OK from up north after certain years.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You could always drive it on a race if you have one near by.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This will never work. The issue is not with the title but with the DOT and EPA. The car was never certified for U.S. importation.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This website is for lost titles, this car has never had a U.S. title and unless it goes through the DOT certification it never will.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah right, you're in California and I'll bet you $1000 you cannot obtain a valid registration! :) :) ;) This is a 97 GTV Spider not an old Sud.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
There are certain cars that have had crash tests done in their home country but have not imported to the U.S. The 1997 GTV Spider was not one of those. Think about this, Bill Gates, you know the MicroSoft guy had a Porsche 959 sitting in customs, then his warehouse for a dozen years because of no crash test documentation. Don't you think Bill Gates and his small stash of change could have found a way to drive his car on U.S. roads. I'm sure ole Bill just was not dedicated enough to find a way and he got lazy :)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If you go to the DOT website you will see that a car can be imported as a show or display car and that would be how Gates did it. Car must have historical significance and or rarity. A 959 has that, a newer Alfa Spider would have a hard time qualifying. The Dot website also shows all the cars that are eligible and there are many that we never got over here, the newest Alfa's on the list are 1995.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The issue is importation. When it comes to customs it needs to be EPA and or DOT approved. Whereas a 1927 T bucket though highly modified is already titled in the U.S. Now many states will not allow a big block blower car to run on the highway, they are OK for city driving and such. Also many states have age limits for cars (say 25 years and newer) that are tested and ones that are licensed as "Historic" get a pass on emmisions and visual inspections.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Of course we realize what is going on!!!! We don't make legislation! I'm just informing people who have asked questions about importing a car and imparting the facts as they stand. The laws are what they are, I didn't make them!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The federal gov, and the state gov do not talk to each other, so if this car has state registration, they will not be inspecting it for the epa tag or fed tag. Unless someone call the DOT, this car will go back to the owner.
This car has never had any state registration! It has to come in through U.S. customs. According to the current owner, the last owner did some shinanigans with with the plates and the car was impounded and auctioned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.