Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Newcomer here. After years of searching, my '74 2000 ironically enough was closer than one would ever imagine.
I've visited this site for insight and I hope I can obtain more, now that I own one.
Apologies in advance if the questions I ask are redundant. I imagine we've all been in this position at some point.

Look forward on chatting about this beauty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Putting fuel on a '74 GTV is tricky.
Anyone else experience this?
The nozzle from the pump - it has a rubber base. In order for the fuel to be released, it must depressed by gas tank opening but it doesn't seem to do this when I try putting fuel in.

I need to depressed myself by doing an English "F*** you"" underneath and pulling it back.

What's funnier it won't let pump more than 3 gallons.

Open to hear explanations gentlemen.

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
377 Posts
Putting fuel on a '74 GTV is tricky.
Anyone else experience this?
The nozzle from the pump - it has a rubber base. In order for the fuel to be released, it must depressed by gas tank opening but it doesn't seem to do this when I try putting fuel in.

I need to depressed myself by doing an English "F*** you"" underneath and pulling it back.

What's funnier it won't let pump more than 3 gallons.

Open to hear explanations gentlemen.
Yup! In California I assume? I have to bend down (because my car is so low) and hold the rubber part while filling, but hold the trigger half way so it goes slowly. I end up spilling half of it all over the car too, very frustrating!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Extraordinary. At one point - I squatted. After three gallons, the sensation of gas mist turns to liquid and I need to stop.

Halfway point of the trigger was quickly realized.

Your pain is my pain. But the remedy my friend? Anyone?

By the way, what part of California?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's two who empathize. I'm glad my catch isn't dud. Thanks for sharing Chuck. Attaching a hose for a full tank isn't a bad trade off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I'm seeing, looks like we have several after market companies.

• Alfaholics _ Performance
• Centerline _ Quality general Parr to make her look new again
• Alfa Classics _ The Sizzler of Alfa part - good but not great.

Is the the general consensus?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Stock ’73 GTV 115.01 California SF Bay Area car it’s entire life… never restored or modified, never had a fuel filling issue.

·
2,706 Posts
The issue is with the nozzles that appeared on the fill guns for unleaded fuel, to prevent you from putting leaded fuel in your car. Thinner spout, shaped differently. Then somebody had the bright idea of adding a spring around it to hold it in, and another bright idea was the rubber splash guard. The angle of the spout is wrong for the location of the GTV filler neck in relation to the fuel door, the spring locks in place, and the splash guard prevent you from going deep enough in the filler. A struggle every time, that few pump attendants can manage.

The idea of carrying a short piece of hose is interesting, but doesn't it carry fuel smell in the trunk?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The issue is with the nozzles that appeared on the fill guns for unleaded fuel, to prevent you from putting leaded fuel in your car. Thinner spout, shaped differently. Then somebody had the bright idea of adding a spring around it to hold it in, and another bright idea was the rubber splash guard. The angle of the spout is wrong for the location of the GTV filler neck in relation to the fuel door, the spring locks in place, and the splash guard prevent you from going deep enough in the filler. A struggle every time, that few pump attendants can manage.

The idea of carrying a short piece of hose is interesting, but doesn't it carry fuel smell in the trunk?
I imagine it being enclosed in something. Besides, better than simply visually enjoy her.

I'll take the hose suggestion but any other resolution that doesn't involve dabbling with the pump?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

I use a fuel filler extension adaptor for my BMW ‘02 and keep it in the trunk (It works for the GTV, but not needed). Whatever fugitive emissions/odors caused residual fuel is very limited and unnoticeable inside the car. Once it’s evaporate, no problem, as the source is gone.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts