Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just bought my first Alfa (my friend always let me help with his so I was sold), and I would like to upgrade the clutch, the bite is right around where you first press the pedal, the zone is very small but the pedal feels proper. I live in a very stop and go heavy hill area, I would like to put something in that I would not really have to worry about grinding it down (even if 20 newbies tried to learn clutch :grin2:).

It is a black 1986 spider, with 43,000 on the odm, but according to the PO of over 20 years, he said "it should almost be 44,000"

Judging by the shape I would believe it. Photos to come!

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
Welcome the BB. Come on up to the Spider section - more 'traffic' there. And we'll be wanting those photos so don't forget...

Unless the clutch is slipping there are a few things to check/do before considering replacing it.

Where does the clutch pedal sit relative to the brake pedal? It should be equal or slightly higher. If it is noticeably lower then the pivot shaft weld is suspect. If you reach down and can pull the pedal up then pivot shaft weld is likely broken. There is info about replacing the pivot shaft with an upgraded part (stronger welded joint) in the Spider FAQ thread. Click here: Clutch Pedal Pivot Shaft

Check the length of the push rod at the master cylinder. Although it is adjustable it is not meant to be adjusted in service but rather adjusted to the specified length and left alone. An unknowing PO might have fiddled with it.

Check for full motion at the slave cylinder. Not likely a problem if all the above checks out but easy to check.

Finally, before yanking out a non-slipping clutch I'd consider replacing the flex hose (they can look OK on the outside but fail internally) and also flush the hydraulic system with fresh brake fluid. DOT 4 works fine.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts