Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm green to the Fiat/Alfa/Lancia world and just came into posession of a 1974 Fiat Sport Coupe in ok condition. A restoration project for sure. The previous owner haphazardly swapped the stock 5 speed for an automatic and I don't know what condition the engine is in. So, while looking through the inventory of my local junkyards on the internet, I came across a 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta complete engine and 5 speed transmission. As a matter of fact, I think the entire car is there, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, getting to the point, I compared the stock hp of my 1.8l to the 2.0l of the Alfetta and am seriously thinking about going this route since stock/aftermarket engine parts are more readily available in the US. I'd like to know what these engines are capable of though with an aftermarket cam and maybe port/polish on the head. What are people doing with this engine without spending a lot of salary? Also, is there a 16v head available like there is for the Fiat? What about motor mounts?

So many questions! Thanks in advance, and once again hello to everyone!

·
Registered
561 Posts
My advice in a quick and simple way is: Stay all Fiat, or all Alfa. To be more specific, if you like to car you have, stay all Fiat: it will save you a lot of heartache. The 124 (if that is in fact what you have) can be turned in a real weapon. But the car is not as robust as the equivalent Alfa (105), but are good things.

The only 16v heads that are available for the Alfetta (Nord) engine are worth mega-megabucks. The Fiat engine is actually a more modern design and more tuneable with it's standard head.

Just a quick note on engine potential:
Full race Alfa Nord: around 205 bhp
Full race Fiat 8v TC: 220 bhp
Full race Fiat 16v TC: over 260 bhp

IMO: Just buy a whole Alfa!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts