Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I did it and it is now mine!:thumbup:

So, agreed price was $4200 which I felt I could live with. It needs a bunch of TLC, but runs and looks to be restorable to an acceptable condition. However, on the test drive I was worried about the transmission and it was not shifting well which I took to be synchros.

Well, whadya now, on the way home I discovered it will shift fine if you really jam the clutch pedal to the floor. It took a nanosecond or two to realize the culprit - or at least I think. There was this massively ugly, totally faded green Alfa logo floor mat on the floor. I yanked it out and put it on the passenger side and from that point forward, it shifted up and down flawlessly!

You can imagine my surprise and relief. No huge transmission issue for today!

There are other issues that need to be dealt with, though. Passenger door panel doesn't want to stay attached to the door. Passenger window doesn't go up or down. Need to tear into that and see where the culprit lies - motor or switch or what. I'm not the greatest sparky in the world, but I think I can figure that one out.

Anyway, thanks to all that answered my questions prior to the purchase. I look forward to needing to tap into the wealth of info that is the Alfabb!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Realized after posting I should update my signature. So, here it is with all my vehicles, except the wife's Outback.

Finally the fun car I wanted - one with a fun factor and a little la dolce vita!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... this is strange. It must have post dated my signature change!

Eric,

Thanks! I'm thrilled beyond belief right now. I know the car needs work, but it's an Alfa! And I'm just totally stoked to be able to bring it back to even a shadow of it's former glory...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took a look through the maintenance program book that came with the owners manual packet to see if I could learn anything. Looks like this car was sold by Paul Spruell Alfa in Chamblee, GA where it was also maintained for quite some time. Not sure what happened after about 63,700 miles as there are no more entries in the book. I think I can assume that for the first half of the car's life it was well taken care of on the maintenance side.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Congratulations, sounds great!

Don't throw that mat out, people here will want to borrow it when they go shopping for a new car themselves: "say, this car doesn't shift too good, try it yourself. What say you knock off a $1000?". "Oh, the green mat I brought with me? My doctor insists I use it whenever I drive a strange car.."

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broker kept telling me that it needed a clutch adjustment. Huh - OK. Drove it with the mat in and had the thought to take it out. And perfect shifting ensued! Who knew it was the stupid carpet.

I will gladly loan it out to prospective buyers to enable a favorable negotiation. But, you got to get closer to $2,000. I got $1800 out of the deal which will go a long way to other necessary rework. Not sure you want to touch it without gloves on your hands - no telling how long it's been on the floor of this car. Judging by the looks, a fairly long time, no doubt.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
after that good luck, you'd be wise to change the oil in the tranny, as I just bet with that footmat in there affecting the clutch travel, people have been crunching the gears!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dom,

My thoughts too. How long has it been that way? How long has someone mashed the pedal? New oil on order. Also an inspection of the clutch pedal and pivot(?) that is known to fatigue and fail. At least I have the advantage of this community!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts