Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everone

New here, although a study lurker these past six months or so in this wonderful, very informative Forum.
From 1965 to 1975, I have been driving, racing all kind of Alfa's. 1300, then Guilia Super, Guilia TI Super Conrero, GTA, 1600 GTV Conrero, 1600 GTV Autodelta, 1750 "light" from the factory, then the very efficient 2000 GTV.

This was in Europe, at the foot of the Alps, and without paying attention to the so-called top speed limit until a few years ago, with the coming of the automatic picture cameras. Crossing Europe flat-out, or going through the roads / stages used locally for the top World Rallyes, such as the Monte Carlo Rallye, Tour de France, Coupe des Alpes, etc
just a short word about this Coupe des Alpes: one week race, through 104 passes on closed roads in the Alps, 5000 kms...Reaaaal racing.

In the meantime I have spent 32 years on the East Coast, without ever thinking of these gone memories. There is a time for everything. However I am now retired and the old virus bite me again.

So I just bought this "late 70 + rolling chassis. V.I.N number is original, # is 3021718. The "car" is pretty stripped, no interior, no engine/trans, but I will get all this easily in France. It is totally rust free, ready to be rust protected, primed, etc. At least I know what I bought, no flashy paint with hidden bondo (I spent too much time in East Coast...). By the way this is a true rust free CA car..

There is a battery container on the ft left side (not in the trunk). There is a bracket with the V.I.N on the left windshield frame, so it is a US built car.

Could someone give me a clue ?? The rear taillights are the large 2000 ones. I would appreciate knowing the exact type & model year.
Thanks for any help.

Michel

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I believe chassis number 3021718 is a USA model, but the easiest way to tell is the plate on the firewall.
105.21 is a Euro model while 115.01 is a USA model. According to the Registry 3021718 falls at the end of 1972 to the beginning of 1973. The actual production date can only be confirmed by sending your chassis number to Marco Fazio at [email protected].

Welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V.I.N Numbers

Hello Shadetree

Thanks for your kind advice in suggesting to contact Signore Marco Fazio.
He actually did reply overnight, pretty amazing service. I knew about this Service, but I was more interested in getting feedback, contacts with other fellow Alfabb Members. This didn't happened.

In fact I have two cars, and the reply came as is:

302 1718 was built on May 1973
302 5756 was built on Nov 1974

This was my 1st post and I am a little surprise that my 10 years experience in top early Alfas didn't bring any kind of curiosity. May be the US members don't have a clue of what the roads / driving were back then in Europe. It is true using an Alfa in 2011 in the US has become a pretty restricted enjoyment (except for the privileged few running a few laps on an occasional race track).
And going 65mph top speed in a US / Spica Spider is truly different from what the cars were built and made to be driven in Italia back in in 1965. Think about, ten years without any speed limit (except downtown of course).

It could be also that most of the new members of this forum are too young and simply never heard of such names as "Virgile Conrero or Autodelta".

As in any large Forum, (this one has a hefty 30000+ Members), but unfortunately there is only a dozen or so of truly knowledgeable people able to post a decent technical story. Too bad the bulk of the threads come from engineers who have own their first Alfa for the past 6 months or so. This is not for me and I won't interfere any more.

Oh well, I will built my cars using all of the pretty good suspension tips the Autodelta mechanics told me back then. Still, it is curious to notice that 40 years or so later, not a single of these British parts suppliers didn't ever came up with this simple 'factory/rally" ft suspension set-up.

MF

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey MF, don't get in a huff so easily. I've only been driving Alfas for 25 years, but I found your self-introduction tantalizing and I was looking forward to hearing a lot more wonderful stories. Hang around, and I'm sure you'll find the others here who also have an amazing depth of experience, as you do. For me, I'll be happy to just to sit by the fireside and hear some tales.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts