Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very cool site, glad I ran into it. I'll probably stick in the Milano section, because I drive a Milano. I'm pretty handy when it comes to cars, but always in need for help. This might be a source.

As for my first post.

My Milano's interior lights have been dimming in and out, it hasn't really been bugging me to much, but now my headlights are starting to dim in and out. I'm kinda concerned, I hope it's not going to drian my bank account.

Is this a common problem? Any first steps to be taken, before I take it to a mechanic?

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
88Milano,

Welcome aboard!

I'm very poor with electrical problems so hopefully some members chime in on the thread regarding your problem.

I just wanted to say welcome and I hope you stick around to share and enjoy the site.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
88Milano said:
My Milano's interior lights have been dimming in and out, it hasn't really been bugging me to much, but now my headlights are starting to dim in and out. I'm kinda concerned, I hope it's not going to drian my bank account.

Is this a common problem? Any first steps to be taken, before I take it to a mechanic?
Sounds like a defected alternator, or a broken voltage regulator in the alternator, might be also a soon-to-be dead battery.

Get a voltmeter (multi meter even better), and check the voltage (an amp) out from the Alternator, and then the battery. Both should be above 14V for a 12V system.

Here in LA you can just drop by AutoZone or Kragen and they can perform a FREE diagnostic for you (since they want ur $$$ for a new alternator or battery)
I would definitely go to a local part shop and see if they perform this kind of diagnostic.

But beware, don't drive it too far or your alternator might be dead on your way. I was left stranded on a highway because of a dead alternator. Not a good feeling at all.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Check your Grounds

Check your Milanos grounds, usually found in the front engine compartment. From what I know, they tend to get crudy and need attention every so often, depending on where you live aswell. The plugs pull right off and are pretty easy to clean, you can use a fine piece of sand paper to get corrosion/rust off.

Locate the ground wires by the headlights, that might be the issue

You should also check all grounds, battery ends, coil, thermostat wire?, main power terminal, basically everything that leads to your inside light terminal.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Check your Grounds

Sniady said:
Check your Milanos grounds, usually found in the front engine compartment. From what I know, they tend to get crudy and need attention every so often, depending on where you live aswell. The plugs pull right off and are pretty easy to clean, you can use a fine piece of sand paper to get corrosion/rust off.
Electrical/Electronic Cleaner might helps too...

Try this
http://www.crcindustries.com/productinfo.asp?productno=05101

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Hopefully this weekend, I can get around to the Milano. I think the first will be checking the grounds, if not that I'll swing it by a autoparts store and get a dianogstic test.

I really appreciate you guys getting involved. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts