Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
First I wold like to thank everyone who replied to my newbie alfa post. I just purchased a 1993 alfa spider, and drove it from Oregon to Denver CO. The car ran like a dream, the only problem was the race type pedals the previos owner installed, I could barely get my fot on the gas pedal without braking. I have some questions maybe some of you can help me out with.
I notice a gasoline smell when I have about 1/2 tank of gas.
Is there a place I can get an owners manual?
Can you adjust the dash light intensity?
The car has 195/60 15 tires, can I go to 205/55 15 withoout a problem, what size does everyone recommend. I looked at the tire rack web site they said I coiuld upgrade to 16 inch wheels.
What are the most reliable performance mods that you have made to your car?

Thanks again
John
Denver CO

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yay! Glad to hear you had a nice drive! What a nice way to start out.

I have to keep this quick but here are a few answers off the top of my head:

Dash Light Intensity - its a rotary switch just above your right knee on the knee padding...cleverly hidden just to make you feel silly when you first buy a S4 Spider.

Gas smell - happens occasionally in the summertime...its been covered in a previous thread recently on AfaBB so just do search

Original Owners Manual....last place I saw them (unfortunately I didn't jump at the chance) was www.vickauto.com
They have (among plenty of other suppliers too) the original foot pedal pads if you haven't adjusted to your aftermarket ones. They also sell the CD Rom that contains the owners manual, service manuals, etc. Definitely a must have in my book. The company's website has updates for the software so it'll run on Windows XP if you have that....normally only runs on Win 95/98/2000.

Try www.serpentautosport.com for 16" wheels....

Everyone else will surely jump in on tires & mods....

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey John:

How is Denver? I once upon a time lived in Colorado Springs. I just got a 1992 S4 and if you send me your addess, I will make a copy of the manuals for you. I have them all.

On tires, yes you can run 205 55 15 without any trouble. I just put a set on my car last week. Veloce wheels. No rubbing. I actually run 215 60 14 on my 1978 on 14x6 daytonas. I was going to try 225 50 15 and would not be surprised if they would work too. Only problem is lack of selection. Rbitzer is correct about Serpent as they have 16 inch wheels with the correct offset.

I know of a few chip manufacturers. Squadra makes one and claims 10 hp. OK Parts in Germany has one and claim 7 hp. OKP also have performance cams and a complete performance exhaust that includes all the parts including a performance manifold. Of course you could always drop in oversized valves and port and polish the head. I believe the compression on the pistons is already 10:1 so not much benefit in pulling those unless you are really getting serious about power.

After driving the 92 and comparing it to my 78, I would say big improvements in handling can be attained with a set of performance springs, red koni shocks, and new bushings. My 78 is modified with all this and handles much better than the 92. 92 in stock form feels a little free and washy. Body roll in heavy cornering is a little unnerving and feels a little unpredictable in regards to stability. I will sum it up this way, my girlfriend in her green bug was leaving me on a curve filled road, and that just does not fly with me. So I will be making these changes to my 92.

Best of luck with your new ride.

John M

·
Supporting Vendor
4,369 Posts
Hey John,

Sounds like you've already gotten some good advice from the rest of the gang.

The one thing I would say is that things are a bit different up here where there's no air : )

For example, an aggresively ported head may not yield the gains it would at sea level, and aftermarket chips may leave you running pig rich at altitude.

I'd give either Centerline or Dale McGowan (AlfaWest) a call if you're planning mods as they have probably the best idea of what works in Colorado.

Have fun with your new ride!

Joe (in Westminster)

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
John,

Buy the CarDisk CD for the Spider. It has the Shop Manual and a whole lot more good stuff you will need.

I understand that the chip is not worth the coins for the HP boost on the series 4. No personal experience. Opinions of others.

My 93 has Koni reds, sport springs. Need all new bushings. I'm waiting for Paradiso to come up here and do it for me! :D
Seriously, they are good mods but it does lower the car so you need to add an oil pan guard on your list of mods. Otherwise it sticks like glue on these Vermont mountain roads.

Fun toy .... enjoy!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Favali said:
Need all new bushings. I'm waiting for Paradiso to come up here and do it for me!
Once was quite enough, thank you. What a major pain in the ***. Getting the old bushings out of the trailing arms is a real treat! If I didn't have experienced help (with air tools) it woulda never gotten done.

If you ask me, this is a job that should definitely be done with a checkbook!

Now that it's done, YIPPEE, its awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts