Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all on the Forum - long time lurker and first time poster on alfabb - what an incredible resource for Alfa lovers/owners. About me - have loved Alfas since I was a kid & have owned two 156s since about 2003 but I am also the proud owner of a 1974 registered (built 3 October 1973) RHD Dutch Blue GTV - originally imported to the UK in 1974 and came across the Irish Sea to Ireland about 3 years ago. 93K miles on the clock - in pretty good shape - had a lot of work done on the sills and A pillars around 1999/2000. Other than that she is pretty much unrestored but I do try to do a few little jobs on it every other week or so. Has a Weathershield rag-top which is great on sunny days but is in need of some attention to keep it serviceable...

To my question - I looked underneath the car a few days ago and noticed two wires (one red one yellow) dangling from the underbody vertically/emerging into the open on the driver side (right hand side) a couple of inches from the trailing arm in line with the rear wheel (coming roughly from where a rear seat passenger behind the driver would sit). They were covered with black tape, and as I investigated in the dark using a torch (bad idea) I can't be sure if they were hooked up together or not (though I'm assuming not). One of them had one of those little snap-close black plastic protective sleeves around it - both have spade type endings & when I touched them together (as you do!) there was a tiny blue'ish spark so one of em at least has some juice flowing through.

PO might have decided they were surplus to requirements and just taped em up to forget about them, but if anyone can shed light on what they are/what they do I would be really grateful. Have attached a poor enough foto but if these wires are stock then I am hoping that someone out there will know right away if they are important...thanks

Peter F

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the site, it sure is a great place to get to know these motors.

I've checked my manual and its pretty difficult to read even with glasses but according to the diagram for a 2000 GTV the red and yellow moving towards the back of the car connect to the middle bulb in the cluster which is the rear and stop brake light and another yellow goes to a light in the boot..

I'd check the lights to see if they're operational, hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply wictod...

I had already checked this out and the rear lights (stop & tail - both sides) are working fine...hadn't thought of trunk/boot light & will check that out in daylight tomorrow (11:30pm here in Ireland). Will also throw it up on the trolley jack and have a good look underneath with an inspection lamp while I'm at it...

I've been through the Car Disc manual, Brooklands book and papajam's wiring diagram with no luck - the wires could be after market add-ons by a previous PO for some reason but it's weird that they weren't routed through the cabin to the back of the car...

Peter

·
Registered
431 Posts
There are 2 brake light switches, one for the front circuit on the firewall & one for the rear circuit mounted in the rear brake proportioning valve (which lives under the drivers side rear seat on RHD cars). The proportioning valves are notorious for playing up & were considered unfixable in the dim dark past.

My 1973 has a replacement Tilton proportioning valve with no brake light switch & the 2 wires hanging loose. Cross the wires & check to see if the brake lights come on to confirm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Bruce - you put me on the right track there & as I now knew what I was looking for, a guick search on the BB threw up this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/185852-brake-switch-under-rear-car.html

which answers my question perfectly - it even includes a diagram and photo with some additional invaluable input from papajam (as usual!). It seems to be a RHD/standing pedals/twin servo issue, and like your own car I assume a PO bypassed/removed the rear switch in my GTV and just taped up the loose wires. Will check that out at the weekend when I have some time on my hands...regardless, I'm a bit wiser now thanks to the BB - nothing new there I suppose.

Nice stable of Ducatis you have there BTW

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts