Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the CarDisc DVD contain all the manuals one needs to work on their Spider? What other manuals should one purchase in order to competently do most of the typical maintenance and repair work?

I've got the Pat Braden Alfa book already and a few other odds and ends. But clearly not enough to do much of anything significant.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
17,015 Posts
I think that Car Disc has a couple of options. You can buy just a shop manual or all the manuals. Obviously the one will all the manuals costs more but I think it is worth it. You'll get shop manual, engine manual, FI manual, conv top manual, owner's manual, TSB's and other material. That's the version I have.

Combine that with the color-coded wire diagrams that BB member Papajam makes and you'll be all set. I took Papajam's wire diagram (copied onto a USB thingy) to an office supply store and had them print out an 11"x17" color copy then plastic laminate it. Only cost a few bucks and is perfect for use in the garage.

Check out the Tech Library of the AROC-USA. Thay have many Alfa manuals available. I think there might be a small fee to get copies from them.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Bob:

What year spider do you have? What operations are you trying to perform that aren't covered by your "odds and ends"? And without knowing what those "odds and ends" are, it's kind of tough to suggest what more you might need!

But for what it's worth, I get by with the Autobooks series:

Admittedly I have early, carbureted cars which are well-covered by the Autobooks manual. If you have an efi spider, you probably need something else.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Combine that with the color-coded wire diagrams that BB member Papajam makes and you'll be all set. I took Papajam's wire diagram (copied onto a USB thingy) to an office supply store and had them print out an 11"x17" color copy then plastic laminate it. Only cost a few bucks and is perfect for use in the garage.
I did the same with Papajam's diagram and hung it on the garage wall. A beautiful art piece only a gearhead is likely to appreciate.:rockon:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,509 Posts
Beyond the CarDisc (which has most of what you need) for an '82 I'd suggest picking up the Probst book on Bosch Fuel Injection. It's a very useful reference for learning about the system.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out I got a CarDisc with the 82. Found it when I went looking through the records. Forgot I had it! So, I guess I can pick and choose what else I need as situations arise. This will help me tremendously!

Covers Series 3 and 4 models. It has 4 directories: owner's manuals, sales brochures, shop manuals, and tehnical specifications and bulletins. Looks reasonably complete.

Guess the famous Papajam electrical diagrams are next!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought the CarDisc for my Series 4 Spider last year and was disappointed to find the it contained nothing more than a poor quality scan of a well-used paper copy of the shop manual and service bulletins with a CarDisc footer added to each page. No attempt to include a linked subject index other than the scanned pages of the original index. In other words, rather than actual words and text which would be scalable and could be searched with keywords, it has image scans of each page which are not. You can even see print-through from the back side of the page on most scanned pages. What were originally fold-out diagrams are included as multiple passes on separate pages.

Hard to find what you are looking for and hard to use. With some effort and optical character recognition, it could have been much better. Not impressed with CarDisc as a commercial product.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understand your disappointment. We have manuals at work that are fully linked and searchable and it is a huge plus. But I guess for a car of this age, I didn't have my expectations too high.

Was listening to a TED talk the other day coming home, and the guy said the key to being happy was to have low expectations. In this case I was just glad to have any info, so I was pretty happy. I'd be ecstatic to get more than that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts