Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Alfa world (but have fallen in love with it!) I recently purchased a 1991 Spider Veloce and it appears the instrument lights, ie, speedo, tach, oil, temp, do not illuminate. I tried adjusting the reostat (sp) to no avail. All other lights and electricals seem to be operating fine. I've read through numerous threads on this topic but can't quite seem to find my exact situation. Your thoughts and expertise are much appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have you checked the wiring harness connectors that attach to the instrument cluster? That's all I can offer - I haven't had to do any instrument cluster work on mine.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
Pull the rheostat out and see if you have power on the yellow wire with the headlights on. If you do, bypass the rheostat by jumpering the yellow wire to the white/black wire. If that works you have a bad rheostat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the Alfa world (but have fallen in love with it!) I recently purchased a 1991 Spider Veloce and it appears the instrument lights, ie, speedo, tach, oil, temp, do not illuminate. I tried adjusting the reostat (sp) to no avail. All other lights and electricals seem to be operating fine. I've read through numerous threads on this topic but can't quite seem to find my exact situation. Your thoughts and expertise are much appreciated.
Older Alfas have a toggle switch somewhere in the Dashboard to specifically turn off the Instrument Lights, for whatever reason. I am not sure whether a 91 Spider still has that, but my 62 and 66 Spiders do. Try to find that switch in your car, or look up in the Manual.
Other than that, typically all the different Instrument light bulbs are daisychained on one wire, typically black. Try to find that wire and see if it has electrical Connection either to the car's General light switch or to that special instrument light switch. Another reason could be that all light bulbs are blown, but usually not all at the same time.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I am new to the Alfa world (but have fallen in love with it!) I recently purchased a 1991 Spider Veloce and it appears the instrument lights, ie, speedo, tach, oil, temp, do not illuminate. I tried adjusting the reostat (sp) to no avail.
on my S4 (european version) when I pull out fuse 10, the 'illumination' lights for the monopod all go out....
(you of course need to switch on the lights for the instrument lights to work in the first place...but you know that...)

try checking through all your fuses, your USA version might be different.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
It's the same on the US car. Fuse 10 is also the front parking lights so if those are working the fuse is fine.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
if it is not the fuse then it is likely a bad rheostat...push it out from behind (if you can get a hand to it) and jump the connector, as Tom suggested above
If you can't get to it from behind, you can unclip the plastic cover from the front (jeweller's screwdriver) then pull the switch out from the front.

dimmer2.JPG

dimmer5.JPG

dimmer6.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Older Alfas have a toggle switch somewhere in the Dashboard to specifically turn off the Instrument Lights, for whatever reason. I am not sure whether a 91 Spider still has that, but my 62 and 66 Spiders do. Try to find that switch in your car, or look up in the Manual.
Other than that, typically all the different Instrument light bulbs are daisychained on one wire, typically black. Try to find that wire and see if it has electrical Connection either to the car's General light switch or to that special instrument light switch. Another reason could be that all light bulbs are blown, but usually not all at the same time.
Thanks to all. Time to go putter!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Bob these things tend to get dusty and cruddy over time. I've found that a good spray of electrical contact cleaner, and a few gentle turns on the dial usually get them cleaned up and working again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the rheostat is most likely shot based on the info you have all kindly suggested. A silver lining is that the rheostat popped out without much difficulty! I checked classic alfa to purchase a new one and they did not seem to have? thoughts? much obliged!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
hard to find new.....you could try one of the better shops like alfissimo or alfaromeoparts, maybe they have a new old stock item hanging around...ask for PN 60518236
failing that...
used on ebay, for instance here # 264300503725
or one in NC that is much cheaper (the guy doesn't even mention the front cover is missing....good reason to message him, tell him it is only half a switch and offer him 10 bucks!..... as your old one has the cover): # 323917571015

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I found one on ebay (used). Hopefully this will work; however, shipping date is July 9!! so I guess I won't know for a while.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
FYI you don't really need the rheostat. Just make a short jumper to connect the yellow wire to the white/black wire on the factory harness. This will make the lights full bright (which isn't that bright anyway).

Then you can just tuck the wires away and stick the non-functional rheostat back in the opening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for tolerating newbie questions. Regarding the jumper--I assume the wiring into the harness remains intact and the jumper would be done by stripping the wires and electrical taping? Will I take out the headlights if I mess something up in the harness wiring? So appreciative of the help and comments this bb has offered.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
You just need to get about 2" of wire and crimp a male spade connector to each end. Then plug that directly into the harness to connect the yellow and white/black wires. No cutting or stripping of the factory wiring required.

Pretty hard to mess up as long as you just connect those two wires and don't connect the third black one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts