Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 87 spider. Front brakes were sqweaking and pads only have about 15% meat left. Driver front clunks over bumps and rubber bushing in lower shock mount is destroyed - need to replace them. Shock seems straight forward - disconnect at top and bottom (obviously keeping shock compressed throughout removal). Front pads - it looks like I remove the two pins that secure the spring, and the pads slide right out. Haven't been in there to see what it might take to retract the caliper piston. Without a special tool (if required), how can it be done. I'm used to NA and *** imports that you just compress with a c-clamp. Any info and pics would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

Push the caliper piston all the way in with a screw driver - while the old pad are still installed.
then remove the 2 pins, pay attention to the spring that holds them in place.

I don't remember if the shock holds the front spring, if it does, make sure it won't jump out (to your face...) - it has been a while since I last removed it, I'm in engine rebuilding now :)

Bushings - if one side is ruined, the other side is probably ruined too, you may want to replace them all.
(Use hydraulic press to do so, saves a lot of work, I bought one while I had only 4 bushings left..)
Saar.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. thanks. so the piston doesn't need to be turned/threaded back in like I think I read somewhere about the back caliper piston. thanks, mike

·
Super Moderator
11,367 Posts
ok. thanks. so the piston doesn't need to be turned/threaded back in like I think I read somewhere about the back caliper piston.
Mike:

Nope, the pistons don't need to be turned as they are pushed back in. Not on an Alfa. Not on the rears or fronts.

However, you may need to crack the bleed screw to get the pistons to go back in a sufficient distance to allow new pads to be inserted.

If your shock bushings are missing, then yea, they need to be replaced. However, the shocks themselves may be OK. If you want to save some bucks, you might look for universal, replacement shock bushings at your local autoparts store.

·
Administrator
17,517 Posts
The Spider's brake caliper pistons do not need to be turned to retract them. (GTV6 rear brakes have an external adjuster but not the Spider's). The pistons do have a cut out that should be aligned before the new pads are installed. There is a printable template available on IAP's tech page. Print that, glue it to a piece of card stock and cut it out.

Shock removal is straight forward. As mentioned, if the shock is OK you might be able to find a replacement rubber bushing in the 'Help' section of the auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
front brake pads

I think I'm getting confused, and would like to review what I think I remember seeing and how I was going to go about and where I'm confused.

When I look at the brake caliper, the pads are encapsulated by the caliper and the pads will be removed from the outer edge of the caliper. Pop the two pins out, the spring that holds the pads in place will come out, and then the pads will then slide out. Now I'm confused... if I can only access the caliper piston through that slot, how do I get in there to retract it. Do I have to take the caliper of the car, do I separate the caliper in two, do I pry on the piston using the rotor as leverage (wouldn't think so). Man I need to get a manual for this car. But need to get the brakes done right away for safety inspection. Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,517 Posts
IIRC, the flat spring item fits into a slight recess in the cross pins. Push the flat spring in (towards the center of the hub) a little bit and push the pins out (might need some encouragement from a small hammer & drift). The pads can then be removed.

Remove one at a time and use the screwdriver levered against the rotor to push the piston in. The piston should move fairly easily. If it is stuck and does not move easily the caliper likely needs service - removal & rebuilding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts