Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope it's OK to post this in this section...was afraid it wouldn't get enough coverage in the "wanted section", tho' it is posted there. Any leads on a nice rustfree car? What's the going rate these days? thanx steve meltzer "unencumbered by the thought process"

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! A top notch rust-free GTV looks to be going in the low twenties lately in Ebay. Running drivers with some rust go for between $5k and $10k. Non-runners are going for between $500 and $1,000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich, thanx for the note. that's certainly been my impression. However, there's a real "outlier" in Hemmings...show winner that's "35K firm". WOW. thanx again. s

·
Registered
758 Posts
steve ... a/c in a gtv, my opinion is a waste of time,again just my opinion, but the only good thing about a/c in a gtv... is the battery in the trunk

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Yea, I think the concours cars are trying to command mid thirties. Personally, the problem I would have with a car like that is I would be uncomfortable driving it around too much. They are likely low mile, one or two owner cars and derrive there value from that. Would I look at the odo and cringe every time another mile clicked off...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! A top notch rust-free GTV looks to be going in the low twenties lately in Ebay. Running drivers with some rust go for between $5k and $10k. Non-runners are going for between $500 and $1,000.
my opinion .... you can no longer by non-runners for $500 to $1000, it worth more in parts ... seen may what i would considered years back as junk gtv sell for about $3000

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
my opinion .... you can no longer by non-runners for $500 to $1000, it worth more in parts ... seen may what i would considered years back as junk gtv sell for about $3000
Yep, my observations as well. $500-$1000 is the range for very rusty parts cars based on completeness. Non-running but restorable project cars can range from between $1000 - $6000 depending on a number of factors. Other than that, I'll go along with Rich's asessment except that he left a pretty big gap between $10K and $20K and a lot of cars trade in that range.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
Steve:

I am a little more optimistic about your project than the prior posters. You neglected to mention where you live, which will influence potential sources and prices of old Alfas. Here on the west coast, mid-70's GTV's occasionally pop up on Craigslist, local newspaper classified, AutoTrader, etc. More have survived the ravages of rust, and more were sold originally, so despite being 30 years old, some sellers still view them as "just old cars". If you're on the east coast, you are more likely to need to pay classic car prices. And of course, a car sourced from ebay or a live auction is likely to be more costly. Either way, the less you pay, the more work the car is going to need.

I have never owned an air conditioned 4 cyl Alfa, and have no idea how effective the factory A/C was. Probably not very - the large glass area in these cars, coupled with 30 year old A/C technology, probably resulted in a system that only worked in the winter. Still, upgrading the old compressor to a modern Asian/rotary model, and perhaps enlarging the condensor might help. Again, it depends on how much of a project you are willing to take on.

My 1970 BMW 2800CS is a basicly a somewhat scaled-up GTV (similar glass area to cabin volume ratio). It's 37 year old A/C system cools the car pretty well, though it does have a high torque / low rev engine to drive the compressor.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'm also looking for a GTV 67 -71 possibly and have kept my eye open for a while. I expect to pay upwards of 12-16K for a real nice car that needs no mechanical repair and has no rust issues. Now I know there have been quite a few on Ebay that have been in the 20K range but those are not for me. I'll be patient and one will come along. As far as AC goes Alfajay may be right, my 84 GTV6 with "Milano" compressor is not very cold. Then again the GTV6 has a lot more glass so to speak than a GTV. I truly believe that window tint plus AC is a must for the older Alfa.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GTVs and AC

I bought a new 1974 GTV in 1975 and had 2 aftermarket things installed
a radio and air conditioning.
I did this because i did i did not want to wait for a special order GTV with factory air and the dealer told me at this late date he may noy be able to get
it and the factory air was not to great.
I lived with my add on air for a few years and it was fine and i really liked it
bcause i took vacations in the summer and used the GtV.
Later on a fabricated bracket broke a couple of times and i was auto x or slaloming the car for about 2 years and i took the AC off. Although i used to run with the AC belt off before the bracket broke.
If you are goiny to travel in the summer i think AC is nice to have otherwise forget it.
Also if you buy a nice GTV without air you can always have it installed.
Regarding prices i think hemmings is high on there best GTV prices but thats just ny opinion.
Here a few days ago on ebay i say what i believe was probably the best GTV
restoration in the country for a stock car.
The car sold for almost 25k and the owner had spent 40K plus all work done by professionals. I think a great buy for anyone who could afford it
It seemed almost to nice to drive but if i had it i would sure drive it but be very careful where i parked it.
In fact when i seen it i wished that i could have bought it.
Car was located right here in SO CAL BILL

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah that's the thing. 25K for one that's a 9.5 + and has 40K in resto is great for the show room I will one day have ;) but I want to not cry or shoot someone if I get dinged or hit in mine. So a 12-16K really, really nice 8-8.5 that I can drive daily and get compliments on is what I'm looking for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts