Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Alfanistas - I am back in the fold with an 86 GTV-6. I have forgotten how lovely these cars are - mine is a gem waiting to be found LOL

Here is the car we bought - 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6

You will see there is some TLC needed - but the Alfa has come to the right place...

today- we cut the initial muffler off (behind the cat) and are no twin tubes back to the Magnaflo in the back. Sounds more like an Alfa - but will need some tuning in the future..>

I have a "list of things to do..."

Step 1 - Cap/Rotor/Plugs/Plug wire - full fluid change
Step 2 - Wheels and Tires
Step 3 - Sort out the front suspension - probably dropping all parts into the bead blaster -and will powder coat them
Step 4 - Change ALL hoses in the engine bay - Pull valve covers and Plenum - Crinkle Paint them - replace gaskets and hoses there too (here is where I get shamed by some - going to paint the Block white - Valve Covers Green - Plenum Red - and will file the Alfa, 6C and rails back to bare metal - yes - I am sorry for the purists - we are making it our own
Step 5 - Sort out AC
Step 6 - Put in in for paint - fix ANY rust - make it Red - because - well - Alfa
Step 7 - Interior - redo front seats - BLACK - Red Piping
Step 8 - Get it out to Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta - and enjoy the Mountain twisties near my house -

I'm super excited to have added this nice little car to the Stables - and will have fun making it my own!
Here is the arrival day Video- (note - Exhaust is already done) ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back! It's a disease - fortunately there is treatment but no cure.

How was your experience with BAT?
No issues at all. Bought in Wed - picked up on Friday - delivered on Sunday. Still waiting on the title.

car was “close” to “as described” - there was some hidden rust that wasn’t disclosed - but not terrible.

I'm combing the internet for pieces parts now. Some things are oddities that may not even exist.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Welcome back. Did the same after being gone for about 20 years, but with an 85 GTV6. They have since multiplied. ;-)

@planetmojo2 has quite a few GTV6 parts. Good person to reach out to when in need.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I found this awesome little beast in my search today- the ride height and the wheel/tire setup is EXACTLY what I am looking to do on my car - ANYONE have ANY idea who the owner is and how to get in contact with them? I was seeing this may have been at a meetup in Johannesburg

I DO NOT want to BUY it - I want to know what what they did to get that ride height -

·
Joe Elwell
121 Posts
Congratulations!! I watched that auction with interest - from here it looked like you got a great car at a great price. Good luck, have fun, and share your progress here please!
Joe

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for video and rescuing this car, early intervention so getting her in really nice shape should be feasible if everything works. No more fluffy steering wheel cover! Needles on speedo and tach wilted from heat and might be getting stuck. There are good threads on restoring the speedo and tach needles if you are so inclined. If it still has original-style dual-disc clutch it releases higher, can be replaced with single disc clutch from Milano if that bothers you. ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations!! I watched that auction with interest - from here it looked like you got a great car at a great price. Good luck, have fun, and share your progress here please!
Joe
Thank you Joe. Supper excited

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks for the glowing review Crackie! We've been going over several parts for his minor restoration in the last week or so. Gauges, gas cap, etc., etc. The PO made a few tweaks to the interior. If you watch his video, the white headliner had been replaced with black. And the black upper cushioning on the door cards at the belt line level had been changed to a cross-hatched white padding there. He has the plastic portion of his old gas cap, but not the metal portion that screws onto the filler neck. I have both plastic and metal sections here. But the black plastic ring that holds the two together is gone. If anyone has a trashed gas cap that can supply that ring, we might be able to get him a nice cap in the end. Complete gas caps with keys ain't cheap. Maybe we can save him some $$ to put toward other bits.

Peter

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Welcome, nice find. Just me, and your car but if that is the original colour from the tag under the hatch I would not repaint it red. Interesting that it doesn't have Tropic-Aire AC. The video was fun. I would recommend that you add some relays into some key systems, headlights, starter and brown wire. When I did the brown wire relay, I had noticeable improvement in all the systems it affects. I would also have a look at your fuel filler hose, between tank and neck, your carpet back there looks like it has a bit of staining. Spray penetrating oil on your headlight attach screws, front and back, back is a super pain to get to. Change your fuel filter too. Just my thoughts. Enjoy the driving around.

Cheers,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome, nice find. Just me, and your car but if that is the original colour from the tag under the hatch I would not repaint it red. Interesting that it doesn't have Tropic-Aire AC. The video was fun. I would recommend that you add some relays into some key systems, headlights, starter and brown wire. When I did the brown wire relay, I had noticeable improvement in all the systems it affects. I would also have a look at your fuel filler hose, between tank and neck, your carpet back there looks like it has a bit of staining. Spray penetrating oil on your headlight attach screws, front and back, back is a super pain to get to. Change your fuel filter too. Just my thoughts. Enjoy the driving around.

Cheers,
Working on all of those - I changed the break fluids today and did a once around - the entire front suspension is going to have to come out and live in the sand blaster for a bit - also checked the condition of the fuel pump and the filter - GOTTA be changed asap...

as for all the other stuff - YES - I am going add those the the short list and will check the paint code...

The car has a LOT of bondo on it - and some visible rust on the rear wheel well (not just surface) so we are going to have to dig into the car - regardless - Ill check the paint codes - but I am learning hard to the RED change - i feel the car screaming for it ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the glowing review Crackie! We've been going over several parts for his minor restoration in the last week or so. Gauges, gas cap, etc., etc. The PO made a few tweaks to the interior. If you watch his video, the white headliner had been replaced with black. And the black upper cushioning on the door cards at the belt line level had been changed to a cross-hatched white padding there. He has the plastic portion of his old gas cap, but not the metal portion that screws onto the filler neck. I have both plastic and metal sections here. But the black plastic ring that holds the two together is gone. If anyone has a trashed gas cap that can supply that ring, we might be able to get him a nice cap in the end. Complete gas caps with keys ain't cheap. Maybe we can save him some $$ to put toward other bits.

Peter
Speaking of Stellar Reviews - Peter is on speed dial ;)

The interior of the car is --- well - it's not - LOL

Needs the Dash cover (cracked)
the door cards need to be redone - period - and the clove box cover
Both Front seats need the uppers re-done - looking to see (sent an e-mail already) the cost of the Italian leaver and Vinyl -

On a good note - MY GOSH the are as comfortable as I remember ---- ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The color of the first car is PRICELESS---

I'm partial to this example -

SUPER curious - and impossible to know - what they did to the suspension on the car to get that level set and ride height - and what sisse the wheels and tires are...

I've seen a LOT of 5x100 wheel sets that look really nice - BUT - that means doing a plate adapter to convert the bolt pattern - which in turn = more unsprung weight and a thief in the powertrain robbing Horse Power ---

Chome lip - Bronze/Gold centers is the look I am after - it's going to take some sorting...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On another note -

someone help educate me - the side plastics on this car are MUCH thicker than the pastics on my 86 - (note the red stripe on black) - what year is this?

Also digging the side marker ---- my plastics leave a LOT to be desired - I love the cleanliness of the car below - would love a beer or boubon / Cigar with this guy to pick his brain on the suspension setup and wheel tire sizes...

someone has a beauty there!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts