Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Alfa, a Holland Blue 1966 Duetto. I'm very happy with the car so far, it seems to be a car that was loved and protected all its life. It has no evidence of accident damage, and appears to have original rocker panels in great condition.

There are some very amateur repairs in the floor a nd under the battery, leading me to believe those are the only repairs. What little rust work that has been done is very easy to see.

I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

I have a few things to sort out:
one tie rod end shows play
there is a light scraping noise related to prop shaft speed
I'm missing the air box and air filter cannister, and the velocity stacks are to noisy for my tastes.
Heater fan doesn't work , there seems to be no heater core flow control valve
windshield squirters, Courtesy lights, engine bay lights don't work

I've had a lot of German cars, restoring several 356s, and maintaining several 911s (ir and water cooled and Boxsters. I alson have a 1973 BMW 2002 since 1978.

I look forward to becoming part of the online community.

Waller

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just purchased my first Alfa, a Holland Blue 1966 Duetto. I'm very happy with the car so far, it seems to be a car that was loved and protected all its life. It has no evidence of accident damage, and appears to have original rocker panels in great condition.

There are some very amateur repairs in the floor a nd under the battery, leading me to believe those are the only repairs. What little rust work that has been done is very easy to see.

I'm missing the air box and air filter cannister, and the velocity stacks are to noisy for my tastes.

I've had a lot of German cars, restoring several 356s, and maintaining several 911s (ir and water cooled and Boxsters. I alson have a 1973 BMW 2002 since 1978.

Waller

Waller

Waller

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,113 Posts
Great color and lovely duetto. Welcome to the Alfa BB!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
That's a beauty. Nice low number on the license plate too.

The prop shaft noise is most likely a bad carrier bearing. Not a bad idea to replace the rear tranny mount, carrier bearing and U-joints all a the same time. Just make sure to mark the driveshaft before disassembly.

I once drove a 69 roundtail from Denver to Salt Lake with a bad tie rod (didn't realize it was bad until I had a safety inspection). Imagine my surprise when my mechanic showed me he could move the right tire in and out six inches without the steering wheel moving with the front end jacked up. Yikes.... Lemforder tie rods seem to be the best quality if you can find them.

Bad grounds account for most electrical problems in these cars. Your mileage may vary.

Your problems don't seem too major.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Looks like a very nice car.

the heater control valve should be on the side of the heater box on the left. in the photo below it is missing but goes where the round hole is near the top. the cable should be connected to the tap as in photo above.

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

Prop shaft noise gone! I took a look at the prop shaft today, all looked great. I couldn't recreate the scraping noise, so I lubed the speedo cable by forcing some gear lube into it...voila!

Italcaroz, thanks to the pictures, I appear to have a heater control valve, but it may be missing a link, I need to look again tomorrow (car is two miles from here)

Heater blower moter just needed s push start and some lube. Its pretty noisy, but works.

Everything underneath looks pretty **** good.

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
Wow, they sure look good in blue!

Heater blower moter just needed s push start and some lube. Its pretty noisy, but works.
When the blower motors reach that state, they're not long for this world. Get psyched to pull out your heater box. It's kind of an ugly job, but easier on a Duetto than on a later spider with a console.

The original air box, snorkel, and filter cannister can be found used. Here's a current BB ad that includes the air box: For Sale - 105 air box/ plenum, intake manifold, Weber’s

windshield squirters,
Probably the bellows pump on the floor. But hey, how much mud are you going to drive through?

Courtesy lights, engine bay lights don't work
The mirror-mounted courtesy light is kind of a joke. Ditto for the engine bay light. It's fun to get those things working, but they won't add much functionality.

Reproduction radio block-off plates are available from Centerline, Classic Alfa and other Alfa parts suppliers:

Reactions: IRONBLOCK

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, I was preparing myself for ppl saying "too bad its not red" but I everyone seems to love the Holland Blue, even those who have only seen the car in that movie.

You are right, I am not much worried about courtesy lignts and squiters. I hope never to drive it in the rain,

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
thanks, I was preparing myself for ppl saying "too bad its not red" but I everyone seems to love the Holland Blue
I love the Holland blue, despite owning a red one:

Reactions: waller

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, they sure look good in blue!

When the blower motors reach that state, they're not long for this world. Get psyched to pull out your heater box. It's kind of an ugly job, but easier on a Duetto than on a later spider with a console.

The original air box, snorkel, and filter cannister can be found used. Here's a current BB ad that includes the air box: For Sale - 105 air box/ plenum, intake manifold, Weber’s

Probably the bellows pump on the floor. But hey, how much mud are you going to drive through?

The mirror-mounted courtesy light is kind of a joke. Ditto for the engine bay light. It's fun to get those things working, but they won't add much functionality.

Reproduction radio block-off plates are available from Centerline, Classic Alfa and other Alfa parts suppliers:
I take it that the cloisenne badge on my car is not original? (from the registry, it seems to be a fairly early car)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Beautiful! Blue and Red are my favorite Alfa colors. I love the Cromodora Daytona wheels but have never owned a set -in over 40 years of Alfa-osis. My first Alfa was a (Holland) Blue 1974 Spider that I still miss today.

Your car does not appear to have a cut out for the radio. The cloisonné badge has been added to the dash. Would you post an engine picture or two?

Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
I take it that the cloisenne badge on my car is not original? (from the registry, it seems to be a fairly early car)
IRONBLOCK said:
Your car does not appear to have a cut out for the radio. The cloisonné badge has been added to the dash.
I had assumed that every Alfa - 750, 101, 105, spider, sprint, sedan - came with a radio cut-out. That the dash stampings done at the factory always included a rectangular cut-out for a radio. But admittedly, this is an assumption on my part. Perhaps early Duettos came with smooth dashes, and perhaps in the past 54 years no previous owner has installed a radio on waller's car. Perhaps, but it seems unlikely.

So waller - is that circular Alfa badge on your dash mounted directly to blue-painted sheet metal? Or is it on some sort of a cover plate? And if it is mounted to blue sheet metal, if you feel the back of this area, does it feel like a welded-in patch, or smooth? I assumed that the badge was on some sort of a home-made, black plastic block-off plate, but maybe I was mistaken.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Would love to see this car, and meet you at Lars Anderson/Tutto Italiano on Aug. 8th.
John R

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll look more closely today. I like to think there has never been a radio.

Sleuthing out the history of the car has been fun. The rockers appear original and in excellent condition, which I would think would be very rare. There are amateur patches in the floor above4 the muffler and under the battery, and one dent has been fixed in the driver's fender, but done with a screw-type dent puller, which now shows in the paint, and the three bondo "keys" can be felt inside the fender. dhe same is true for the Pininfarina badge on the quarter panel, deleted and bondoed. This leads me to believe that there has been no expert/connoiseur level body work done which would be hidden under the paint.

There is a lot of bare steel showing under the dash board and in in spots in the fenders, and they show only very, very light rust. Bodyshop rust...rust that will be wiped away using acid metal wash.

All of this leads me to believe that the ccar has never intentionally seen rain... therefore always owned by enthusiasts...therefore never had a radio.

I have a rich imagination.

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would love to see this car, and meet you at Lars Anderson/Tutto Italiano on Aug. 8th.
John R
I think I might just make that drive, I'll check it out. My intention is to drive him (Giancarlo Alfa Romeo) only around our lovely secondary roads here on the Farm Coast, but maybe this one time.

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PXL_20210723_170544743.jpg
PXL_20210723_170544743.jpg
Beautiful! Blue and Red are my favorite Alfa colors. I love the Cromodora Daytona wheels but have never owned a set -in over 40 years of Alfa-osis. My first Alfa was a (Holland) Blue 1974 Spider that I still miss today.

Your car does not appear to have a cut out for the radio. The cloisonné badge has been added to the dash. Would you post an engine picture or two?

Mark

Mark
Certainly.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1966 duetto 1600
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Mark
There's a flat plate that the cloisonne badge is mounted to. This covers a three-hole cut out one for each knob and a square one for the face. I took a picture of the back but it's not terribly clear
PXL_20210723_165256027.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
There's a flat plate that the cloisonne badge is mounted to. This covers a three-hole cut out one for each knob and a square one for the face. I took a picture of the back but it's not terribly clear
That makes it completely clear (except for that mouse nest behind your oil pressure gauge!). Yes, that flat plate looks like something that the owner or his bodyshop made - they did a beautiful job, matching the glossy blue paint on the dash and affixing that Alfa badge. But, it isn't what the factory provided.

My point wasn't that your radio block-off looks awful and you should fix it immediately. Just that the correct part is readily available and a simple thing to swap (well, simple if the artisanal one can be easily removed).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My point wasn't that your radio block-off looks awful and you should fix it immediately. Just that the correct part is readily available and a simple thing to swap (well, simple if the artisanal one can be easily removed).
Unless they cut a giant hole in the dash and that custom plate is covering it up. That's what usually happens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts