Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Alfas on Route 66
In the summer of 2011 we drove a Giulia Super from New York to Monterey California for the vintage weekend via the Lincoln Highway. The trip back was on various other twisty, scenic and mountainous roads. The summer of 2013 we'll be doing it again only this time we'll be getting our kicks on Route 66.

Historic Route 66 – The Mother Road. A stretch of highway that moved so many Americans and is now seen as a way to travel back in time. Our transporter will be a 1973 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super. Route 66 terminates in Los Angeles but our goal is Sonoma California where we plan to attend the 2013 Alfa Romeo Owners Club national convention.

As the planing for this trip has developed several other Alfisti have expressed interest in; traveling with us for the entirety, following along for a shorter stretch, or simply meeting up with us along the way. We've set up a website where we are documenting our preparation and eventually the stories from the road when we set off on June 23rd 2013.

On the website there is also a maps section that includes a real-time map of our current location (active only on the trip), so even if you can’t physically participate, you can travel virtually along with us. In addition this section includes our route including the points of interest we plan to see.

If you've got some suggestions on places we need to see, spectacular roads to drive or if you want to meet us along the way please let us know with a posting here or via the website.

As we did the last time, we'll be posing here as we prepare and eventually from the road.
Please visit ROUTE 66 ALFA

Some previous threads leading up to this:
Teardown and rebuild of the 73' Super
The 2011 Drive NY-CA and back

·
Registered
78 Posts
This sounds really cool! I'd really like to go with you, but wait, I'm already here!:D

Good luck, post pics, and we'll keep the Moretti cold for when you get here!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
We're actually driving this year, but only from Southern California. He's racing in Washington the July 4th weekend, flying in, and the three of us are driving up the following day. You will probably beat us there. Sounds like a beautiful trip full of memories!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Sweet! Another Frey roadtrip with cracking photos to make us all envious again!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Derek and others for the suggestions.
We're looking forward to meeting up with Alfisti (and Fiat & Lancia) owners along the way - so if you are near Route 66, give use a shout.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This sounds like a great trip, a perfect theme for an Alfa roadtrip.

While I might be in the running for the convention 'shortest distance award' (about 4 miles from the convention hotel), you'll almost assuredly take the 'longest distance award'!

I'm looking forward to the roadlog.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See you on the awards podium!

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK - aside from the convention I've confirmed one night of the adventure

Fourth of July at Lake Havasu in Arizona
From all indication they put on a pretty good party
any Alfisti in the area care to join in?

Likely the only other confirmation to my fuzzy agenda will be the starter night in St Louis - me thinks June 30th

Route 66 - here I come!!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like we've got four cars in our group starting out on Sunday June 23rd with a few others on the fence.

So, you're starting out about a week later and only giving yourself 4 days to get to Arizona from St Louis via route 66? I think you're going to need to do quite a bit of interstate driving and very few scenic stops to make it on time.

RT 66 offers many points of intrest to see but you'll need time. We should be hitting the Lake Havasu area around the same time so keep in touch with us. We expect to arrive in the LA area on the 5th and arrive at the convention hotel in Sonoma on Monday the 8th of July.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you're so right Fred, unfortunately this somewhat limited time frame is most this working slug can manage
I will try to make ST Louis a day or two earlier and that would be very nice
still plenty of time to plan and prepare - the proverbial wheels are turning!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understood. I hope to see you (and some other Alfsiti) along the way. If anyone here is along Route 66 and would like to say hello over a cup of coffee (or craft beer) please send us a message via Alfas on Route 66

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those going along either part of the way or taking the entire trip; Route 66 window stickers are now in stock. Only 30 days before we set off - keep up to date via Alfas on Route 66

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alfas and drivers getting ready

So far there are six Alfas leaving from the New York area for California. Three on the 23rd of June, the other three a bit later. I've posted details of the participants on the route66alfa.com website - take a look here:
Particapants | Alfas on Route 66

I'll be posting many updates from the road here with much more on the above website.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spares for the road

I've put together a collection of spare parts for the road trip with the goal of of saving space and guessing the part that MAY fail this is what I came up with. Anything obvious I've missed??

Fan Belt
Fuel Hose
Radiator Hoses (upper and lower)
Distributor cap and rotor
Water Pump and gasket
Fuel Pump, gasket and Bakelite
Hood release cable (mine was recently repaired)
Clutch slave cylinder
Fuel Filter and Glass bowl

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car is packed and gassed up and we're set to go tomorrow at 9am.
Tool bag is also set - just in case....

Follow along here: Alfas on Route 66

·
Registered
821 Posts
Buona fortuna e boun viaggio!
I will be following along via your web links.

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
Best of luck.:thumbup1:
I also see things missing from your kit: credit card and cell phone:lol:
When you get out her to L.A. I hope to meet you either at the Petersen or Autobooks.
Remember we have Alfisti Petersen docents out here to get you a personel tour of the museum.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts