Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a very basic question, but since I've not done this before, I'd like to confirm my approach to it.

I have a S2 that I am putting together that was disassembled by someone else, so the existing harness is not labeled/marked in any way. I am putting a NEW (from Auto Sparks UK) wiring harness in it that I am pretty confident uses correct wire colors. I have a Papajam wiring diagram, but I am otherwise starting from scratch on the install.

I think the way to go about this is to label my new harness using the wiring diagram so that I know how/where to route different sections of the harness throughout the body. Is that the best approach?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
My plan (which I did not actually get to use) was to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and lay the harness out on that, with taillights at one end and headlights at the other, drilling holes in the plywood and using zip ties to keep the harness from moving around. I would do a separate board for the dash harness just to keep things from getting too crowded. Then it’s just a matter of matching up wire coding to the wiring diagram and identifying what wires run into each connector. Think connectors more than individual wires. Once you know where the headlight connectors are, you know the parking lights, turn signals and front markers are nearby. Label the connectors and check the actual car to see that the connectors visually match up wth ones on the component you think it should.
it won’t take too long to get a feel for what’s happening, as our S2’s really aren’t very complex electrically. One long run goes to the nose and it has headlights, side markers, turn signals and running lights. The other long run goes to brake lights, side markers, turn signals, reverse lights, and fuel pump. That leave the dash lights and gauges which aren’t too bad after you look at them, and then power to the starter, coil, alternator and battery.

Oh, and just never forget the first rule of Italian electronics:

It’s always a bad ground. Always.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
...I think the way to go about this is to label my new harness using the wiring diagram so that I know how/where to route different sections of the harness throughout the body. Is that the best approach?

Thanks.
I did know that Autosparks offers reproduction harnesses.....hopefully they have captured all the nuances of the variations between model years/optional equipment (if any). I built my own harness from scratch exactly as Lokki outlined above and found it rather straightforward. You already have a harness available so you should be ahead of the game (hopefully). Your idea to mark all the loose connectors based on the wiring diaghram is a good idea as it will identify any possible missing or extra connections that are not in line with the wiring diagram.....something best identified before installation of the harness.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice folks. Very helpful.

Re: the Auto Sparks loom...they do differ by model years and geography (e.g. US vs. Euro). I'll report back on how accurate it turned out to be. One thing I know I'll need to pull from my old loom is the A/C wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
one wire at a time;) keep it simple

1 - 5 of 5 Posts