Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I noticed I was leaking coolant from the water pump. I ordered a new pump from Classic Alfa and replaced it, but noticed that the new pump has no bleeder valve on the top. So, I assume there is no issue and to just burp the system through the bleeder on the throttle body? Anything I should be worried about?

Thanks a ton for the help!

Ty

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
If you want you can drill and tap a 6mm hole where the bleed was on the original. Use a SS 6mm bolt (short) and aluminum washer to seal. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You can also use a vacuum bleeder if you have an air compressor. They are ~$45 on Amazon and make bleeding the system a 10 minute job .

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
I simply fill the radiator leaving the cap off, open the heater valve, fire up the engine and let it run until it reaches full working temperature. I top it up as the air bubbles are burped and then fit the radiator cap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You do not need to bleed the system I never do. Just drive it with the heater on at 70 mph and the air bubbles rise to the top and exit into the reserve.

Ken Smith
That works .... even without the 70mph part... but .... why not ????

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,430 Posts
You can also use a vacuum bleeder if you have an air compressor. They are ~$45 on Amazon and make bleeding the system a 10 minute job .
I have one of those and they are da bomb. I bought it because I have a car that specifically requires it, but it works great on the GTV and 101 Giulia too.

I know a lot of the older water pumps had the bleed screw but I haven't seen it on any of the replacement pumps. I think Alfa decided at some point that it was not really necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts