Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all V6ers: I've been working on new V6 performance headers for a while now. They are CSC lookalikes but with 42mm OD pipes instwead of 38mm. All stainless steel construction with proper merge joints, flex pipes and a 'Y' connector for single exit if the outlets are cut short, where the std system will not be used. I would appreciate indications of people seriously considering these headers. The number of interested parties will be given to the manufacturer for a tentative unit price calculation and feasibility study. Let me state in no uncertain terms I have no personal interest in all this; I have never sold and will not sell anything to anyone for profit, I want to be very clear about this! I am not associated in any way with the manufacturer other than coming up with the prototype, same as I did with the V6 rods and as I will do with some other crucial engine parts.
Jim K.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Jim,

I am contemplating using a 24 V in a GTV 6 build up. Might it be possible to get these with the D shaped flange for a 24 V?
By the way I have a display 24 Valve head that seems to be unidentifiable by the people I have asked about it. Might you know what it is from?
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...valve-bare-head-v6-bell-housing-a100_1137.jpg

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...valve-bare-head-v6-bell-housing-a100_1136.jpg

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/att...valve-bare-head-v6-bell-housing-a100_1135.jpg

Thanks
Marcus

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I believe the manufacturer won't just indicate a price based on a theoretical number of units. (This is not an unusual approach.) That's why Jim is asking for interested parties to manifest themselves, in order for the manufacturer to specify a price, based on the number of interested parties. ("I would appreciate indications of people seriously considering these headers. The number of interested parties will be given to the manufacturer for a tentative unit price calculation and feasibility study.")

Jim, I would be in the somewhat interested camp, as opposed to the seriously interested group, which I know is not much help in this case...

Best regards,

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcus, I saw these pics when you first posted them; I don't know where these are from, I don't recall all 24v versions made; these may well be some pre-production prototypes, an interim 12-24v stage, in the same light as the 3 and 4-valve 2liter heads they made before settling on the TS design.
Re. the V6 headers, te first indications I have is they will cost less than the CSC set.
Jim K.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
They are beautiful!!
I would be interested.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wow, they really do look amazing. Nice work. If they can really deliver on this with a price below that of the CSC, I'd be interested.

42mm the OD? What does that translate into for an inner diameter? Any thoughts on ceramic coating options? Can't wait to see items like this and others when the V6 book arrives!!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I really don't think these headers will need to be coated. Rather than explain why in my own words, I will just include this quote from Burn's Stainless Steel.

"You may have heard Smokey Yunick talk about maintaining high exhaust velocity and increase scavenging by covering headers with a thermal wrap. In addition, there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some type of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside the exhaust system. Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.

Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency."

Greg Gordon,
hiperformancestore

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Jim, what kind of performance figures are you showing over the stock 24v exhaust system?

·
Registered
883 Posts
GG,

Fantastic, I didn't realize there was such a difference in thermal conductivity between mild and stainless steel. Thanks!

...are these for the 24V engine? I'll have to recall my interest if so...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interested
Thanks
John

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pipe ID is a proper 39mm, optimum for a performance 500cc cylinder na or supercharged. Adapting to 24v engines is more involved than it may look. Its not just a matter of welding oblong flanges on flared tubes but the adaptation must be definitely done in a car with an installed 24v engine. Its the only way to assure proper fit and clearances to inner fenders etc. If anyone was willing to buy a 12v set and go through the required mods for the 24v, the results would be worth it as there are no worthwhile serious alternatives around. However, given the small numbers of such conversions worldwide, I don't think anyone would go through the trouble for this with profit in mind!
Jim K.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks to GG and Jim for the quick answers. I thought they looked like 12V pipes, but I just wanted to make sure before I claimed interest. Didn't want to mess up the count.

Jim, would this be run as a 'group buy' where we all pool our orders and the company makes 1 run of XX pipes? Or are they looking to release this as a product where we can order as individuals? Would shipping be from Europe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just to say, darn those headers look good! i have a 24v fitted now and iam not going back....

i can vouch for the 12v to 24v header adaptation, for what it takes to do it, you may aswell start from scratch....

1 - 20 of 71 Posts