Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share these pics before I install it. My current turn signal switch doesn't work anymore (the plastic housing is cracked inside) so I bought a new switch.

Here are a few pics. The two metal arms are more solid than the original switch and the plastic caps at the ends have a better shape and are beefed up as well. Looking forward to not having to manually return the switch after I make a turn.

Bought it from here: EL002 COLUMN SWITCH - 2 HEADLIGHT CARS

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Not to call your new baby ugly, but that looks like a switch for an earlier Alfa. The late 60's / early 70's cars had the paddle-shaped handles (like your new switch). By the mid 70's the handles had a square cross-section. I'm not sure when Alfa made the transition; maybe '75's still had the paddles. Both styles of switch are functionally identical and I always liked the paddle shape better, so I'd call your new switch an upgrade if the old one's handles were square in section..

·
Registered
835 Posts
Double check the wiring on the switch. I just installed a new switch on a 74 GTV that came from Alfaholics but I think everyone is getting the same switch from the manufacture I found that the red power wire actually came apart both at the fusebox connectors as well as at the connector itself at the switch, had to reinstall the wire at both ends and soldered it in and put new heat shrink tubing on each end Give the wires a little tug and make sure that they are tight before you get the switch in

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Now would also be a good time to install some headlight relays. The reason the switch goes bad so often is because the headlights get powered directly from the switch! No bueno.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
FYI, it's the long tension spring that provides the cancellation after a turn - it has to be wrapped around the steering column. Have a search here in the forum; there are a few posts concerning the preparation of the steering column and installation of this spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts