Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured all (most) of the spider top replacement threads and have decided to try the install myself. I'm planning on going with a Robbins brand cloth top. The Electron Brand is also tempting but expensive.

My question is do I want padded quarters? What are their advantages?

A little more info: I have a cherry 86 Graduate with no rust and only 30k miles. I only drive on sunny summer days and almost never put the top up. She is always garaged.

Any other advice on top choice or installation is welcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Padded quarters make quite a bit of difference with noise at highway speeds. I have a bit of a time putting my top down and folded correctly to fit well under the boot cover without bulges. It is just much thicker. There is a link somewhere for good installation instructions. I used them. I will se if I can find the link if no one else chimes in with it.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
It is not too difficult if the top you select has "pre-punched" holes for attaching to the rear channel studs. If you buy a top without any of the rear stud holes present, you're in for a lot of extra work, and you probably won't get as good of a fit on the finished product. Try to buy a top with pre-punched holes from a reputable vendor. Don't try to save $50 or $100 on this job or you won't be satisfied with the result you get after all the work you put in.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I only drive on sunny summer days and almost never put the top up
why change it then;)
nobody sees it if its down!

Is it totally shot? (on a 30k mile car?)
a new top needs to be kept up....it needs to adapt, to form for some time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, shot after only 30k miles (and 34 years).

Robbins has a good reputation according to the threads I've read here. Not sure if it has the holes.

I did see the thread with the step by step explanation and pictures.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Robbins has the precut holes, lined up well, nice top.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There is a link in the FAQ at the top of the page to top replacement. #75 close to the bottom of the page. Get the top with the holes already in, don't ask how I know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts