Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just added a Giulia Super to my garage. It joins a ‘59 Austin Healey Bug or Frog eye Sprit, ‘ 67 MGB GT and a ‘72 MGB. Along with my daily driver a 2020 Giulia TI.

The super is in fair to good shape, working through brake master, tune up and radiator flush. I have questions regarding the oil pressure. I just changed the oil 20w-50, same as my British cars, It is running at 20 - 30 at idle and would not go higher when engine rev’d. I have rebuilt engines before, but did not want to do it right away on this car. So the question is, since I am new, what is the most common cause to low oil pressure, bearings, pump or sending unit. The sending unit looks like a lot of fun to get to with engine installed. Thanks for your help in advance. Mike

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
That sending unit is a knuckle buster, for sure. I had oil pressure issues with my Super - pressure would drop as the engine warmed. My son-in-law and I decided to have the oil pump rebuilt and the O-ring that should have been between the pump and block in the sump. The pump rebuild did the job for me, although I think my gauge is another part of the problem - I have a second gauge under the hood, and it reads correctly.

Not sure if any of that will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was very helpful. Would you say the oil pump and sending unit are the frequent sources of low oil pressure, unlike the MG’s and TR4 I have worked on low oil pressure primary reason is bad bearings. Also how did you hook up a second gauge to measure.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The second gauge is a direct reading gauge. It was already installed when I bought the car, and I'm not sure how they did it. Send me your email, and I'll take some photos and send them to you. I'm [email protected].

It looks like they put a fitting in an oil galley on the driver side of the engine - it's a bit odd.

Mike

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I will relate my experience wherein the reading changed after removing the sender and cleaning out the tiny orifice w/ a needle or very small drill bit, don't recall exactly. Used carb cleaner too. Pressure indication went up, and was more in line with readings on a mechanical gauge installed temporarily.
Following your post closely because I, too am a recent Giulia Super owner and am fettling a few issues before it's ready for Prime Time, i.e.- MVD title transfer inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Capp, That is what I am working on now is to get the car ready for MDV. So Capp how did you get the sender out? From on top or from below?

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Actually, that was on a former car, a GTV, but same method applies. I accessed it with the air cleaner assembly removed and don't remember it being difficult, but it was a Spica car.
I happen to have a new sender in my hand and it appears that a stubby 17 mm open end will get it if you have the top part of the air cleaner off..... probably....maybe...you know.
Your older, possibly original sender may likely have a different hex- almost certainly smaller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I need to take off the rest of the air cleaner and should be able to access. It is tight, but doable.
mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts