·
Registered
444 Posts
subtle... looks the goods, Nice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Still the original 1600 engine on Weber 40s, rebuilt a few times according to the file. Alfaholics handling kit, few other suspension bits, custom manifold and exhaust, Alfaholics GTA wheels, roll cage and that about it. Its not super quick, but its a joy to drive and handles beautifully.

·
Registered
967 Posts
There were three versions of the GT Veloce 1600 Version 1(FIA 5126 Group 1,early): Had deep rear arches and Dunlop brakes front and rear. Version 2: Referred to as Group 2 in FIA 5126). Had deep rear arches and ATE adapters on the front Dunlop uprights to take ATE calipers. The rear axle had ATE calipers. The Group 2(Version 2) cars were built with limited slips diffs and with different ratios in the gearbox and a selection of wheel widths 5", 5.5" and 6" on a 15" diameter rim as well as some other features. Version 3(FIA 5126 Group 1,late): Had high arches and solid ATE uprights (with no adapters:to be confirmed). The rear axle had ATE calipers. Production of the GT Veloce 1600 started in 1965 for LHD cars and 1966 for RHD cars.

There were only 6 colors for the interior seats of the GT Veloce 1600. Two colors for leather were dark brown or red, plus two colors for vinyl they were mid grey (nero fumo) or light tan(cuoio) and two colors for a cloth/vinyl combination grey/mid grey (panno grigio unito-finta pelle nero fumo) and light tan/tan(panno cammello-finta pelle cuoio). There were only 4 colours for the door cards two for leather: dark brown leather (pelle testa di moro) or red leather (pelle rossa) and two for vinyl they were mid grey(nero fumo) or light tan(cuoio).
There were a few colours for the rear parcle shelf (none were black) Source FIA documents, Alfa Romeo parts catalogue (Italian version).

Here is the 105 register that lists about 40 RHD GT Veloce 1600 cars (Owners who have voluntarily listed their cars) There may be other cars that have not been entered.

Your car looks like a version 1 or 2. Cars built in early part of 1967 tend to be version 1. The colour of the interior seats and door cards of your car is not one of the colours for interiors listed in the parts manual. The black interior is not original.

Your GT Veloce 1600 looks great in white.

Regards Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting info. Thanks. The car was bought to enjoy, I am not that concerned with originality - it has a great history, with its original UK "buff" log book and all its old MOT certificates and it just feels right. A keeper for sure. A car to use and enjoy and build up some good memories.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Lots of opportunity for further GTA'isation then...

Strange it's got a full roll cage if the engine is standard. Perhaps the P.O. swapped engines for competition purposes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Difficult for me to know exact spec of engine - a couple of builds on file (one with Bob Dove, well known in the UK) so it may have received some mild upgrade. Its peppy, and sounds great on the GTA trumpets and with the stainless exhaust. Takes me back to my Fulvia Fanalone days - I actually prefer the Alfa.

If anything I may go the other way - remove half the cage, reinstate the bumpers, remove the stickers - more of a gentlemen's express than GTA replica. But thats for another day - I have had enough of cars sitting in workshops not being driven - right now, I love it for the fact its a very cool, very solid, great driving car that just needs a lot of use!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
That's what it's all about enjoying the motoring experience.
Of course enjoying the car's historical path be it cultural non original modification is part of the car's history and has personal and community/historical value.

I don't expect every one to restore their car so my comments may not suit some owners. My comments are aimed at all owners, previous, present and future.
Of course owners into the future that value a higher level of originality will express that in the usual way by restoring and then driving their car.

Today we the owners and the owners into the future have the benefit of making informed decisions regardless of previous cultural experiences.
Like in the past the non original black interiors which were most likely installed in the 90's (30 years life span of a vinyl interior).
Into the future we don't know what the cultural trends if any new owners will gravitate to, Obviously the GTA theme/modifications steel stepnose cars is still present.
Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
If anything I may go the other way - remove half the cage, reinstate the bumpers, remove the stickers - more of a gentlemen's express than GTA replica. But thats for another day - I have had enough of cars sitting in workshops not being driven - right now, I love it for the fact its a very cool, very solid, great driving car that just needs a lot of use!!
I can certainly relate to the cars sitting around waiting for attention issue...

I use to be a bit gung ho about modifications, more recently I've adhered to a philosophy of only doing bolt-on stuff, so it can be undone, either by me, or whoever comes along later.

Andrew

·
Registered
967 Posts
The seats are trimmed in the non original dark grey kits being sold by some vendors. The original seats were a medium grey. Door cards in dark grey are not available so people use black door cards from the 1750 GTV.
The machines that press the basket weave on the vinyl are obviously still present and working. As to whether they are used to produce a mid grey basket weave is probably never going to happen.

It does not matter if the seats and door cards are not original as not every one is into restoration as you and others mentioned before. What ever it takes be it modification etc to keep the car on the road and comfortable has cultural value to the car community today and may be another way to 'enjoying the motoring experience'.

Regards Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts