Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this car a few days ago and I have no owner's manual or wiring diagram.

Two issues so far:
1) none of the courtesy lights come on when the car doors are opened, but the light does work when switched to the manual mode. I also notice that the trunk lights and hood lights do not work. It makes me think that when somebody was working on it they disconnected something, to keep those lights off, and not run down the battery. Anyone think of a common theme that could cause this? Fuses are good.

2) I cannot identify the role of the pushbuttons on the console on the far left (ie, next to the driver). The other ones are not wired except for hazard lights. I do not have electric windows or rear defrost. Can someone let me know? Besides the indicator light wires, the 2 function wires are blue/white and orange (or tan)/white.

Steve

·
Administrator
17,711 Posts
Welcome to the BB! I will send you a wire diagram via a conversation (private message). Click on the mini-avatar in the upper right corner.

The switch-a-ma-jigs in the door post often get a bit corroded. They make the ground connection for the courtesy lights. First try a few squirts of penetrating oil then pressing them in and letting them snap out. If still not joy carefully unscrew them but make sure you don't lose the wire attached. If it falls inside the door post they are difficult to retrieve. Next consider the light timer relay (located in the fuse box). It is supposed to switch the light on when the door is open then keep them lit for 20-30 seconds after the door is closed. But they can go bad - either not turning on the lights or never turning them off (and draining the battery). I removed the relay and installed a jumper wire (see photo). This eliminates the 'leave them on for 30 seconds' function. Now they come on with the door open and off with it closed. And of course the light has a three way switch - always on, always off & automatic (with the doors open) be sure you've got it in that position.

I'm not sure about your '88 Spiders console layout. If you post a photo I'm sure someone here can help. Which reminds me - we like photos! So you should post some. ASAP

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
The hood and trunk lights only work when the parking lights are on. It's an Alfa thing.

Blue white and orange white are for the rear fog light. Again, probably only works when the headlights are on. I think the fog light is only on one side but I don't have an S3 Spider.

Reactions: ghnl

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the BB! I will send you a wire diagram via a conversation (private message). Click on the mini-avatar in the upper right corner.

The switch-a-ma-jigs in the door post often get a bit corroded. They make the ground connection for the courtesy lights. First try a few squirts of penetrating oil then pressing them in and letting them snap out. If still not joy carefully unscrew them but make sure you don't lose the wire attached. If it falls inside the door post they are difficult to retrieve. Next consider the light timer relay (located in the fuse box). It is supposed to switch the light on when the door is open then keep them lit for 20-30 seconds after the door is closed. But they can go bad - either not turning on the lights or never turning them off (and draining the battery). I removed the relay and installed a jumper wire (see photo). This eliminates the 'leave them on for 30 seconds' function. Now they come on with the door open and off with it closed. And of course the light has a three way switch - always on, always off & automatic (with the doors open) be sure you've got it in that position.

I'm not sure about your '88 Spiders console layout. If you post a photo I'm sure someone here can help. Which reminds me - we like photos! So you should post some. ASAP

. View attachment 1664772

. View attachment 1664772
Thanks. I am on it! Love the idea of the jumper to troubleshoot.

Steve

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hood and trunk lights only work when the parking lights are on. It's an Alfa thing.

Blue white and orange white are for the rear fog light. Again, probably only works when the headlights are on. I think the fog light is only on one side but I don't have an S3 Spider.
Well what do you know? True and hood lights do work, but only with parking lights on. Interestingly, there is no switch to turn off the trunk light when it is closed, so it is on all the time when the parking/running lights are on.

I see nothing that comes on when I press the fog light button. The array of lights in the back and the front look the same as when the button is off. Oh well, no biggie.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
There are 2 foglights in the rear. Only work with parking lights or parking and headlights on.

The trunk has a switch hidden behind the trunk hinge.

Courtesy lights. The light set in the middle is on off with the door. The left and right direction. One way is off and the other is on all the time.

The switch in the lights also get messed up. You should feel a definite click going into each position.

Also the timers go bad.

If you get them to work on the timer. Be carful getting in and out of the car. Its easy to kick them on with your foot. Leaving you with a dead battery after a couple of days.

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the jumper worked. I opened up the courtesy light relay/delay. It was fully corroded, components falling out. I think I could make one for about $5 in parts. A simple 555 counter/timer would do it. For now, on to other things.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
True and hood lights do work, but only with parking lights on.
correct, that's how they work.

Interestingly, there is no switch to turn off the trunk light when it is closed, so it is on all the time when the parking/running lights are on.
that is not correct on your 88 - there should be a switch.
have you confirmed whether it extinguishes, say by putting your phone in the trunk on video mode then closing the trunk?....it might switch off at the very last moment.
on the left hand trunk hinge you will notice a 'bump' (and none on the r.h. hinge) that bump presses the switch and turns off the light......have a good look for it, it is quite well hidden behind there!
Of course, It's possible someone bypassed it, it's possible someone removed it altogether.
See post #18 and #20 here for the 'bump' and the correct type of switch needed, if it is missing and you wanted to return things to original.
Trunk Light..... How does it work?

I see nothing that comes on when I press the fog light button. The array of lights in the back and the front look the same as when the button is off. Oh well, no biggie.
remember, your headlights need to be ON for the rear fogs to go on.
your car, if it has rear fogs, will have two, one left & right.
like this:
Missing Right Rear FogLamp??
normally if you have the switch then my guess is you have the lights.
they are law in europe, I guess not so in US

1 - 9 of 9 Posts