Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
1978 Spider
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's my problem now 馃榾. Just brought a 1978 spider home. 1st Alfa. First time in a long time that I've owned a car built in the seventies. It's not running and everything points to electrical gremlins. I'm hoping someone can send me the color wire diagrams so I can start troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance.

Now back to my BB mechanics education.

Carter
Who knows what he got himself into, but doesn't really know what he got himself into.

Registered
Hello Carter - welcome aboard.

I found this diagram, hope it helps. I also recommend that you put in new fuses and polish up the contacts.

Edited to remove wire diagram. To all - Papajam's diagrams are copyrighted. He asked that they not be posted publicly. An attachment in a conversation is OK.

Registered
1978 alfa romeo spider, 1987 alfa romeo spider graduate
On the '78s if you have the original SPICA there's not a lot of electral components running the engine but here's a few things to check:
Grounds (they are hidden in a few places around the car)

Fuel pump (when you turn the key on before you turn the starter you should hear it running and see the yellow (I think) light on the dash turn off after a second or two)

Ignition coil (proper voltage to and from)

Distributor (timing and firing order 1342)

Premium Member
1978 Spider
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm starting with a battery that actually holds a charge. Then checking fuses and installing proper amperage and cleaning contacts. Then we'll see where it takes me.

Carter

Registered
1978 alfa romeo spider, 1987 alfa romeo spider graduate
I had another thought. Something else you may check if all else fails is the fuel shutoff solenoid (the one with the black wire in picture) it's unlikely to be your problem but if it is recieving voltage all the time, it will starve your engine of fuel. It will run just fine without it but it will take longer to return to idle and engine braking will not be as efficient. The PO of mine had it hooked to the horn.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Premium Member
1978 Spider
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It started!!11!! Looks like it really just needed a good battery. Runs a little rough and the left turn signal comes on any time the battery is connected.

So definitely still has wiring issues, but good progress. And now I get to see may or may not be wrong with the mechanical parts.

Carter

Premium Member
1978 Spider
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I knew I was going to be connecting and reconnecting the battery a bunch of times I decided to get one of those keyed quick disconnects. The battery ground was connected to the passenger tail light mounting bolt (wierd). When I was reconnecting to that spot the bolt broke. Is there a better (more solid) ground point? I was thinking of using one of the studs used to hold the trunk liner up. Thoughts?

Carter

Registered
battery ground bolted to the tail light?......oh well, no accounting for the PO's madness;)

there is a dedicated bolthole on the trunk floor just to the right of the battery....that still there?
this is an S3
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

your 78 might be like this 74, same location but on a bracket I believe
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

anyway the battery ground cable needs to be properly bolted to a secure point with excellent clean steel, or you'll be forever chasing those gremlins:)

Premium Member
1978 Spider
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
battery ground bolted to the tail light?......oh well, no accounting for the PO's madness;)

your 78 might be like this 74, same location but on a bracket I believe
View attachment 1707332

anyway the battery ground cable needs to be properly bolted to a secure point with excellent clean steel, or you'll be forever chasing those gremlins:)
That's what I needed. Thank you
Carter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts