Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've been on a brief hiatus for a few years as I've been toying with other cars and not working on any Alfas. I STILL have my 67 Super that is supposed to be done any day up at Vintage Customs, after 5 and a half years, though that's another story.

Onto other exciting news.... Thanksgiving weekend, I was very fortunate and came across this car, basically in my backyard at an estate sale. It was legitimately 4 or 5 miles from my house.

The story allegedly goes as follows: It was a one owner car, bought by a military gentlemen while stationed in Italy in 1969. He moved back to the states in the early 70's (72-23) and brought the car back with him. (hence the car having original early blue CA plates) He owned the car throughout his life until he passed away earlier this year.

The car is extremely original and pretty clean. It's not perfect, but I don't need perfect. It has had one paint and has minimal bondo around the rockers. Aside from that, it's really in great shape.

The goal is to make it an enjoyable driver. There may be a time where I decide if I'm going to keep this or the Super that has been very difficult for me over the past few years. I'm currently in the middle of replacing most of the wearable items before trying to get this guy to fire up. Gordon has my webers and is giving them the proper treatment.

I've got a new radiator, water pump, fuel sender, fuel pump, fuel filter, brakes, brake master, fan, plugs, wires, cap, rotor... and a bunch of other necessities. Also getting the starter and generator tested/rebuilt as they're both original and I have no idea if they've ever been done.

While replacing the rear e-brakes (the passenger side's pads fell off upon removal of rotor) I identified the rear wheel bearings were also toast. So those are on the to-do list here in the next week or so.

Eventually it'll be going up to Alfa Performance Connection for a new soft top. But that's only after it's running and driving as good as it can.

Lucky for me, I've got a good friend in "goats" here on the board who's willing to help out! I'll try to keep updated as much as possible.

And I know you all appreciate pics......

Reactions: matt164 and goats

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to round out some pics to get things started....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, nice find! Even a factory hardtop. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks! I’m pretty excited about it! Is that top factory? I can’t find another one like it??

Reactions: alfaromeoblack

·
Premium Member
6,315 Posts
The car is wonderful and truly original. Once in a lifetime barn find for sure.

those Alfa fender covers have a long magnetic strip in them under the felt to hold onto the fender! I have a very old one and I use it all the time!

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Thanks! I’m pretty excited about it! Is that top factory?
Beats the heck out of me. But hey - it's got an Alfa logo on it!

But seriously, I see you contributed to a thread on hardtops, inquiring about its authenticity. Sorry to get you excited - I really don't know. But it does look well made: nice seams in the black vinyl covering, metallic trim around rear window and edges. Can you tell how the Alfa logo(s) is attached? If its held on with chewing gum, then probably not factory. If bolted on, then more likely.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I don't think it's factory. As I recall the Duetto h/t had quarter light windows where on this on there is just a solid part of the top. This may be a top made by "Parish Plastics" back in the day? Still, it looks to be nicely made.

Reactions: P-3

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's not factory. As noted above, the factory hardtop has 3 separate windows. Amazing find. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That’s sweet! Agree re. the hardtop though, one of my Australian Alfisti friends has a ‘67 Duetto (in white) with a factory hardtop and its quite different with more angular lines and the rear quarter windows as noted.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! That’s what I figured! I’ll likely never use it any way! If anybody can actually use the top, let me know!

In the meantime, gotta get this beauty up and running!

Reactions: Aggie57

·
Registered
what part?
10,928 Posts
i used to live in oceanside.. ,iss thoe coast down there, carsbad, del mar, torry pines..oh by the way, you might want to look into the parking brake..

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
that car looks sweet, just as it is
(love the original air pipe over the engine, don't replace that unless it is ripped....real character:).....get the mechanicals in order and enjoy!

what's wrong with the soft top, it looks just great from the photos?
OK, a badly faded rear window, but you can often polish those back to almost new these days.

·
Registered
542 Posts
1300 Juniors will be rare in the US I suppose. Nice to see that it kept the original features of a 1300 Junior:
  • no plexiglass covers for the headlights
  • fixed quarterlights
  • lower parts of the front bumpers in black rather than stainless
  • round wing repeaters in front of the wheels
  • no expansion tank for cooling system

can't tell from the fotos but it should also have:
  • two spoke steering wheel
  • sunvisors only as optional extras
  • rear mirror without light
  • seat back rests adjustable by simple screw rather then adjusting wheel
  • ashtray without cigarrette lighter
  • single circuit ATE brakes (small version) with one brake servo
  • no brake force limiter for rear end

I would assume your car is a 1968 model as you have the earlier air intake system, a mechanical clutch and 15'' wheels (as far as I can see). On the other hand according to Dasses's book 1300 Juniors of that year should have the simple embossed hubcaps.
My 1969 1300 Junior came with the same decorative ring hubcabs you have, the newer air intake, the rare standing pedals with hydraulic clutch, the brake limiter and the optional 14'' wheels. These are known changes for the 1969 model year.
Very nice find this car and it would be very cool to keep it unrestored as is!

Cheers
Sig

p.s. the Dasse book on the Alfa Romeo Spider has a number of very nice factory photos of 2 1300 Juniors. Might be worth getting.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i used to live in oceanside.. ,iss thoe coast down there, carsbad, del mar, torry pines..oh by the way, you might want to look into the parking brake..
It isn't a horrible area to live! This car is a perfect weekend driver for cruising down the coast for sure!

that car looks sweet, just as it is
(love the original air pipe over the engine, don't replace that unless it is ripped....real character:).....get the mechanicals in order and enjoy!

what's wrong with the soft top, it looks just great from the photos?
OK, a badly faded rear window, but you can often polish those back to almost new these days.
I do plan on keeping it as original as possible, as long as it's all functional.

The soft top cracked and slip a million different ways the first tine it went down. Those pics were taken before I ever put the top down. It won't go back up looking the way it did in those pics!

Nice find , very few of the Junior “Duetto’s” were build. I have the same top on my Duetto, I believe it’s a Parish top as has been mentioned in #7, the below image courtesy of
duettoinfo.com:
Thanks for the info there! I was wondering if I would be able to find that top anywhere!

1300 Juniors will be rare in the US I suppose. Nice to see that it kept the original features of a 1300 Junior:
  • no plexiglass covers for the headlights
  • fixed quarterlights
  • lower parts of the front bumpers in black rather than stainless
  • round wing repeaters in front of the wheels
  • no expansion tank for cooling system

can't tell from the fotos but it should also have:
  • two spoke steering wheel
  • sunvisors only as optional extras
  • rear mirror without light
  • seat back rests adjustable by simple screw rather then adjusting wheel
  • ashtray without cigarrette lighter
  • single circuit ATE brakes (small version) with one brake servo
  • no brake force limiter for rear end

I would assume your car is a 1968 model as you have the earlier air intake system, a mechanical clutch and 15'' wheels (as far as I can see). On the other hand according to Dasses's book 1300 Juniors of that year should have the simple embossed hubcaps.
My 1969 1300 Junior came with the same decorative ring hubcabs you have, the newer air intake, the rare standing pedals with hydraulic clutch, the brake limiter and the optional 14'' wheels. These are known changes for the 1969 model year.
Very nice find this car and it would be very cool to keep it unrestored as is!

Cheers
Sig

p.s. the Dasse book on the Alfa Romeo Spider has a number of very nice factory photos of 2 1300 Juniors. Might be worth getting.
You're right on almost all of those things... though I'm not familiar with a brake force limiter! Other than that, my car is exactly how you've described it. The ashtry isn't screwed in at the moment, but i have it! Here's a pic of the inside, it hasn't been really cleaned yet and needs a bit of a detail, but just for info! It is a bit of a shame about the radio versus the block off plate though! Ah well! Can't win em all!

·
Registered
542 Posts
please keep the photos coming, very interesting to see the original details. The carpet in my car had turned to exactly the colour yours has now. Regrettably I dumped it in the mid 80s for a (bad) repro one.

The brake pressure regulator sits underneath the car, in front of the back axle and looks like this (sorry OKP for pinching the photo)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there any chance the lubricant sticker is still on the hood?
I wish! That’s one part that’s a bit unfortunate is they didn’t keep all of those for the respray. None in the trunk either.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts