Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Admins for creating this forum, glad I found it. I'm based in Australia.
I'm looking at purchasing an Alfa. I'm new to the marque and what I know about them is just through reading.
But I do like the style of them and the reputation for being a driver's car. I have always owned classic cars mostly of the Chrysler variety so worlds away from the Euro vehicles.
I'd love people's opinion on what model is most desirable in the $A10,000-$20,000 price bracket. I'm mostly interested in pre 1995 models. I quite like the 75, 33 and Sud models but what else should I look for in that range?
Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Administrator
17,766 Posts
Welcome aboard! You're going about this backwards. Most of us fall in love with a derelict then spend the rest of lives (and our kids inheritance) fixing it up...

You have some models we never got in the USA. I'd suggest finding a local Alfa club and enquire of the members. They will likely know of good candidates for sale and may be able to help you with a pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ghnl. I have done the derelict thing with Australian made Dodges and Valiants but just sold the last one - so am looking for a different type of punishment :)
I'll definitely take up your suggestion re local car clubs.
Cheers

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Alfa world....

10-20K in AUS should get you into a 75,33 or Sud but don't discount the Alfetta range. That budget would get you a nice Alfetta Sedan or maybe a project or better Alfetta GTV.

What you have to do is some research and then see if you have a preference for front wheel drive (33 , Sud) or what we call the 'trans axle' cars (ie. Alfetta coupe, sedan, 75 ) which are
rear wheel drive with the gearbox at the rear.

Plenty of variety in this crop, everything from the 'boxer' engine (flat 4) in the 33, Sud through to twin cam 4 cylinder (Alfetta) and then twin-spark 4 or V6 for the 75.

Don't forget the Alfa 90 sedan too (only V6). Take into account in your thinking, age, parts availability, rust (they all do!) etc.

Not sure which state you are in but register on one of the local Alfa forums and start reading!

There is an AROCA Australia forum which covers all states (Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia Forum - Index).

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GTV-074 really appreciate your insight. I definitely prefer a rear wheel drive so will look into the Alfetta range. Can you tell me where the most common places on the car for rust - to look out for? Windscreen joins and plenums ( a common problem in early valiants for example)
Cheers

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ok, they need to be check thoroughly. Sills, doors, under the rear window and side windows, rear hatch on the coupes, around the base of the windscreens, wheel arch etc. etc.

But each car is different, you could snag a really nice one with not much rust, then there can be the basket cases, botched over etc.

As with anything, have a close look and then another even closer!

Cheers.

Reactions: worthyone
1 - 6 of 6 Posts