Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to this website and to Alfas as well. I am mostly into muscle cars but I have a soft spot for Alfas and late 50/early 60s european cars.

I have been looking at this '59 Alfa.

What do you guys think it is worth?

I am not new to restoring cars, having restored an Amphicar and a '70 Boss 302. I just don't know the Alfas that well and want to know what a project like this is worth.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Value is a subjective thing in many ways and BHCC tends to price their cars on the high end. The good about this car - seems to be fairly complete. Trim can be difficult to source but it appears that most of it is here. Rust is the biggest enemy and there is some here. Not an overwhelming amount but it's present but seems to be confined to the lower extremities (floors, trunk floor, etc). If you can do most of the work yourself you're way ahead of the game. You can get a rough idea of what Sprint's have sold for on BaT, realizing these prices are full retail: Search for "giulietta sprint"

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
140 Posts
Hi everyone I am new to this website and to Alfas as well. I am mostly into muscle cars but I have a soft spot for Alfas and late 50/early 60s european cars.

I have been looking at this '59 Alfa.

What do you guys think it is worth?

I am not new to restoring cars, having restored an Amphicar and a '70 Boss 302. I just don't know the Alfas that well and want to know what a project like this is worth.
Check Bring a Trailer and Hagerty for combined book values vs real world auction prices. If i remember that listing correct its one of Beverly Hills Car Club's cars. They're not bad to deal with. I have spoken to them a couple times and they're generally up for negotiation. If you can get the car at the right price then bite the bullet. Luckily, as others will tell you, there is such a huge community behind restoring these cars that parts are readily available and of good quality. Very few pieces you can't get for these vehicles with ease including body panel replacements. But the real pleasure of any Alfa is the drive. I've been lucky enough to drive several but I only just recently purchased my first. She isnt running and driving yet but I'm looking forward to when she does.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Welcome to the BB. My neighbor has an original ‘69 Super Bee 6 pack and hasn’t done a thing to it since he bought it in 1978. He laughs at guys that spend thousands of dollars and thousands of lost hours on restoring their cars instead of buying a car ready to just drive and enjoy. He’s seen the suffering in others often who bought the wrong car. And he’s a mechanical & body shop managing mechanic.

Your question was “what is this project worth” so first off, what do you really want to know? What should that Sprint really go for price-wise if you want to make an offer? What would a complete restoration probably cost you? What could you get out of it cash-wise at the end? Is it worth it at all?

As 6alfas stated, it’s a pretty subjective question. “Worth” can mean more than a few things to a buyer...and a seller of course. If you do a “community search” here for Sprints you will get more than enough info on them. I’ve seen them go for $5K USD sitting in a field on a ranch, to well over six figures for rare ones fitted with lightweight aluminum panels at the factory, or bodied by other specific Italian design shops. Then there are the ones with a race history. There is also the whole thought-purchase-process of the Giuliettas produced in more numbers (Normales) versus the much more rare ones with Veloce specs. Finding just the right car can be worth more in final cash value obviously. But, does that make a project worth it to you?

The car you posted is not one of the rare specimens. Fun and most likely an expensive proposition? Yes. From what I’ve read the past few years, Sprints are a much more difficult project to restore than Spiders. Remember that.

I will say this; I am at the end of a 4 year journey on my ‘61 Spider. I have way more time and money in it than I had ever envisioned and I too have completed cars of other Marques over the years, taking a few first place shiny things home at national shows. My car came with 98% of its parts and I consider myself lucky in that sense. I can’t imagine how much more it would have cost. Was it worth doing the project on a Normale 1300 Spider? Don’t ask my wife...

Good luck with your homework. A cheap flight to L.A. is well worth it to see in person what you can’t online. Lots of AlfaBB members there to help you too. Personally, I’d find one closer to home.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Too exepnsive for a project car. Move on.

For 3/4 of the price of what this car will cost at the end, you have this one, ready to enjoy ! => This one Giulietta sprint ; or this one Giulietta Sprint

Now, if you need just a project, take your time and you will find the right car for you at the right price for you.

chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum.

Too exepnsive for a project car. Move on.

For 3/4 of the price of what this car will cost at the end, you have this one, ready to enjoy ! => This one Giulietta sprint ; or this one Giulietta Sprint

Now, if you need just a project, take your time and you will find the right car for you at the right price for you.

chris
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I am indeed primarily looking for a project as I intend on tracking it and don't want to start with a prime example for that.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Different ball game. That car, at that price, is probably not what you may want for a track car. There are many project race cars out there with a head start for you. But, it’s your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Different ball game. That car, at that price, is probably not what you may want for a track car. There are many project race cars out there with a head start for you. But, it’s your money.
Could you point me in the right direction for those?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Alfas07 has been busy building track cars for a while. Maybe if he spots this he can lead you in the right direction. There are often cars in the “cars for sale” forum listed on the BB that may be better suited for your plan. There are many track guys as members on here whom have been doing that for decades. Their experience is invaluable. Searching track racing/building info on what you are desiring helps, but can be time consuming. Good luck on your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts