Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have recently had the pleasure of buying a 147 2.0 Twinspark with selespeed problems. I'm used to working on older BMWs, so this is my first alfa as well as "modern car". Being a uni student the price was right (car has been off the road for a few years due to selespeed pump) and I was hoping to fix this up as a daily 馃槄. So far I have gotten the car running and rebuilt the pump with new brushes. It seems to be moving fluid well and getting the car through 1,2,N,R while stationary. I am able to move forward in first, however when put into reverse it squirts out a little fluid straight onto the ground from somewhere on the back of the selespeed system facing the firewall. I have been reading that Alfadiag will be my friend but have not been able to source it or a cable as of yet. Im starting to feel a little overwhelmed by it, since some information i've come across points toward the potential of fluid leaking into and then out of the transmission. I have not been able to confirm that and am hoping it is just selespeed fluid as it is the fresh fluid that i'm filling being squirted immediately on the ground, unmixed with anything else. Would anyone have any advice or information on what this could be and things i should check next?

I am located in Wellington, NZ and would appreciate any help i can get.

Thanks!
Karun S.

Administrator
In all honesty Karun, I'd flick that car asap, and get what you can for it and run.

The only other option, and I am serious, is see if a wrecker near you has a 147 or 156 Twinspark manual, or fully automatic gearbox, available. Manual would be the preferred option as reliable. Won't be an easy conversion but the only option IMO.

There is a reason why I don't own a selespeed 156. I had a boss once who owned a selespeed 147, loved the car but it cost her $3000 to fix the selespeed once ... would be lucky to get $3k for one with a working selespeed.

I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to read. In a few years time you will be able to buy paddle shift Ferraris/Maseratis/Aston Martins, etc. for pocket money too, as crashed cars with manual gearboxes they can purchase gearboxes from will have run out
Pete

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, that has been the fear. It's really not worth trying to fix the problem? The car doesn't have a lot of ks on it and seems well looked after other than this. The pump itself is fixed and working now, and seems like it would hold pressure and reverse if not for the leak. The wreckers near me have other selespeeds :(

Administrator
I would try www.alfaowner.com as there is a lot more discussion about Selespeed there. Just becareful on how much you spend. Give yourself a limit so you know when to stop.

Good luck. Fingers crossed for you
Pete

Reactions: Karun

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yes ive been looking into some discussions on there and its nerve racking. Hoping for the best.

Administrator
@Karun PickAPart in Tauranga has a 156 TS manual ... would work with your 147.

Pete

Reactions: Karun

Registered
Make sure you are not overfilling the fluid reservoir. Once the pump has pressurized the system there only needs to be enough selespeed oil to cover the base plate in the reservoir other wise it overflows as the system de-pressurizes leaving oil on the ground and a mistake in thinking there is something wrong.

If you have oil squirting from the actuator body (selespeed unit) its probably blown an internal seal. This is bad. Usually the lost selespeed oil leaks into the gearbox. When you undo the filler plug on the gearbox the excess oil comes out. Check the gearbox oil level. If required find a second hand actuator.

Without diagnostic tools you wont get far. After a pump change you need to bleed the system, adjust the clutch push rod and reprogram the gear selection (end of line).
With diagnostic equipment you can also fault things like sensors, faulty accumulator or a worn clutch plate.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, that's really good information. Ya I've heard about the leaking into gearbox, next on the list to check through the fill plug. The leak seems to be coming from the sensor on the back plate, could that be the problem instead or is that just a symptom? I found that one of the screws was not tight, but attempting to remove and examine any seals in situation at the moment.

Registered
Karun its hard to diagnose any problem on the internet let alone something like a selespeed fault so take my advice as general in nature.
The three black switches are an engagement sensor, position sensor and gear selection sensor. I can't remember which one the back one is, I think its the position sensor.
Anyway the switches locate onto a shaft. That shaft goes inside the Actuator. There are seal kits for the actuator if your feeling lucky however if you can find a good second hand unit that's a better option.
If you are sure that's where the leak is then that's the first thing you need to fix. At this stage you probably need to remove the actuator for further inspection.
Have you found information on removing the actuator?
How many kilometers has the car done?
Just be careful because some parts of the system can hold up to 50 bar oil pressure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense, I appreciate the advice nonetheless. It gives me a good place to start and things to look out for since information seems hard to find on these. The car has done 147,000 kms. On removing the actuator I have read that there are a couple bolts on the top that are easy but there was something about another bolt related to the selector that has to be replaced that I'm a little unsure about. I have been reluctant to take the entire unit off since I haven't gotten my hands on a diagnostic tool yet but I will. I have pulled some parts of a couple selespeeds that are at a local wreckers so might be able to get a unit off them but I'd have to pull it myself and they are stacked on top of other cars 馃檮

Registered
Hmmm at 147,000 kms the clutch should have been changed by now. Service books? If not factor that into your cost of getting the car reliable. Also while not unreliable it is important the cambelt is serviced correctly and on time otherwise KABOOM.
A smart move to play around with a diagnostic tool for a few hours before you remove the actuator. Even with the leak you might be able to set it all up, verify that its working and that the clutch isn't worn. From there you might be able to change the seal that's leaking.
Battery and battery tray out. Three bolts on the top. One on the side accessed through the wheel arch and dropping the front LH engine mount. Its a 6mm allen key (sometimes a torx head) hidden behind a 8 or10mm allen key bung plug. That bolt goes into the selector shaft, its tight and the bolt is of poor quality. You need to be very careful not to strip the head out.

These things can become a real pain in the butt. Just for example there is a 2 dollar c-clip on the selector shaft the brakes. This results in the selector shaft dropping down about 1mm. This is enough to confuse the selespeed requiring you to dismantle the gearbox in order to replace the c-clip.
Selespeed issues are not unique to Alfa. Ferrari, Fiat, Maserati, all the same crap.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yes thankfully cambelt was done. Haven't found anything on clutch but I'll look again, most things seem to have been done on time. Car was well looked after until the selespeed and then just sat, but was started since 2015. Thanks for the info, will definitely be careful with that bolt. I've got the cable on the way but am having a hard time finding alfadiag anywhere. Seems to have disappeared after about 2014. Any replacements you'd recommend or links to one you'd have? Thanks a lot for the help.

Wow ya that sounds very frustrating. Starting to really hate this venture into modern cars and think I will be sticking to cars older than me for a while 馃槄

Registered

Have a read through Dons post. He was able to find a cost effective way to get some diagnostics working.

When the selespeed is working well it's quite a nice system given its age.
I have a manual 147 GTA and love it. I also like the selespeed in the 147 GTA which is different to the 2lt.
Happy to help.....giving me something to do while this virus continues its sh*tshow.(y)
We even lost Dean Jones this week. What a crappy crappy year(n)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Alright will do that, thanks. Just got the cable in today. I've heard that a couple times actually, just haven't had the chance to experience a working one yet. It sure is interesting at least. Ya this year is nuts, just moved here from New York right before it all hit so definitely thanking my lucky stars...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts