Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't dare go another season on the Bridgestone Potenza RE950's (NLA) I've been running on my GTV since 2002, and since the choices for 14" tires are so limited, I've narrowed the selection down to the 4 below. Although I'm not thrilled with any of these, they're available thru the tire shop I'd like to work with. All are 185/65/14. Any comments on, or experience with any of these?

Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1

Falken Ziex 912

Sumitomo HTR T4

Toyo Extensa A/S

Definitely open to suggestions for others. Prefer a performance tire as opposed to touring. Tread life won't mattter. No snow driving expected.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
I don't know about all the Sumo's but the ones I've got are great in the dry but in the wet their is no grip whatsoever. Got Potenza 15's on the GTV and I get the greatest kick out of being next to these guys in their big diesel duallies and taking off at a light and sitting there spinning tires while I see them in the rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
13,049 Posts
I have Falken Ziex on both my Spider and GTV6 and I am happy with them. An SCCA regional champion drove my GTV6 around the Carolina Motorsports track last weekend and he said that the car handled and braked well. They are also decent on wet roads.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Avon makes a great (but expensive) 185/70 14, the CR6ZZ that is street legal but sees use as a rain racing tire as well. I've been running Sumitomo HTR 200's (NLA) and am about to switch.

Kent

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you've been running the same tires since 2002, anything will be an improvement. Those are some ancient tires! While they started life as Bridgestones, they are now Maypops.
I like the Falkens and Sumitimos as they are inexpensive and my cars use them up.
I'd go with a cheaper tire, as there's no reason to buy anything expensive for low annual mileage cars, and it will still be a huge upgrade. You can't run any tire for 11 years.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Pirelli P4 185-70-14. Done.

"185-65-14" is not the right size. You want either 185-70-14 or 195-65-14 but I greatly prefer the 185s and especially the Pirellis recommended above.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who shared their advice and opinions. Yes, 11 years was way too long to run the Bridgestones, and I feel much better now that they're gone. They still looked great though - not a crack on them!

I ended up going with the Falken Ziex 912 185/65/14. To me it was a toss-up between those and the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1, but for some unknown reason my tire guy has a problem with the Sumi's. Neither showed up on the Tire Rack site as being available in 185/70/14.

Not concerned about the smaller diameter 65 opposed to the 70 aspect tires - I've converted to 4:10 rear gears which should more than compensate for increased engine revs due to the smaller size.

Hope I like 'em. I'll know once the car comes off its jack stands next week.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
One of my pals put the 4:10 rear end in his 74 and loves it for the fast interstates. I have one stashed for mine. You are absolutely right about the diameter difference being irrelevant. So wear the new tires out!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of all the "upgrades / improvements" I've made to the GTV, the 4.10:1 gearing is the best! All upside really - no appreciable loss of acceleration, just way more tolerable on longer drives, since revs are reduced by 500 in 5th gear (umm...maybe reduced by just a few revs less now that I've gone to smaller tires).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Guys, the 185/65 R14´s have roughly the same overall diameter as the 195/55R15 commonly used by those with 15 inches. They won't bring much trouble, if any trouble at all.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Guys, the 185/65 R14´s have roughly the same overall diameter as the 195/55R15 commonly used by those with 15 inches. They won't bring much trouble, if any trouble at all.
True. But, it's been my experience that GTVs handle and steer so much nicer with a 185 over a 195 (or wider). Bigger is simply not always better.

And as far as bringing trouble goes... If you have a less than perfect Burman box the wider tire you go with, the more trouble you will have in a shorter amount of time.

Unless you have a track car, I can't understand how anyone could want for anything more than 185s on a GTV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do use 185´s on my GTV and really like this width. But I was talking about diamenter, not width. I use 185/65R15s on mine that have just the same overall diameter as the 185/70R14s, but I am thinking of going for 185/60 R15s on my next tire set so that I can benefit from the slightly shorter overall ratio. 185/60sR15 have the same overall diameter as the 185/65R14s Paulsle is using.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I do use 185´s on my GTV and really like this width. But I was talking about diamenter, not width. I use 185/65R15s on mine that have just the same overall diameter as the 185/70R14s, but I am thinking of going for 185/60 R15s on my next tire set so that I can benefit from the slightly shorter overall ratio. 185/60sR15 have the same overall diameter as the 185/65R14s Paulsle is using.
Sounds like a great choice for 15s.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know if people understand tyre dimentions so i shall explain it as best i can using the example 185/70R14

the first number (185) is descriptive of the width of the tyre in millimetres at it's widest point. not the tread width!

the next number (70) is called the aspect ratio. which is a percentage of the width of the tyre that determins the hieght of the side wall. so in this case 70% of 185mm is the hieght of the tyre side wall; so a 185/70R14 should have a tyre side wall hieght of 130mm. therefore taking this further a 185/65R14 will have a side wall hieght that is only 120mm.

The "R" stands for radial. there is often a letter before the "R" which is the speed rating. S being 112mph, T being 118mph, H = 130mph and V = 150mph.

next 14 is the rim diameter in inches.

there are 25.4mm in an inch.

with the original size tyre 165R14 they do not mention an aspect ratio because they weren't invented till the very end of the 60's. In the case of these full profile tyres they actually have an aspect ratio of 80% (or 82%). therefore the side wall hieght of a 165 tyre is 132mm. (overall diameter being 619mm)

Incidentaly the early Giulia cars and the Giulietta fitted 155R15 tyres with a taller rim and smaller section tyre. When you do the math comes out with a diameter of 628mm.

Thinner tyres are more fun. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=522521214481260

1 - 19 of 19 Posts