Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new timing belt and tensioner. The tensioner was not "new" per se, but a different (used) oil-fed one than I had been using previously. Note, I use the old-style tensioners but without a hydraulic feed.

While "age" was my primary reason for swapping in a new belt, I was also hoping to address another potential issue - the belt was tracking all the way to the outside edge of the pulleys. For as long as I can recall, the belt has always tracked towards the outer edge on my engine, but I noticed some time ago that it was right out flush with the outer edge of the pulleys.

Speed ahead - the job is done - idling in the driveway, the belt is tracking pretty much dead center. I go out for a spirited run, and sure enough, the belt is back to tracking on the outside edge again.

Here's a pic I took of the old belt before removing, but the new one is pretty much back to tracking in the same plane.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
i think its OK

usually if the belt rides out, its due to some misalignment (typically AZIMUTH) on one of the pulleys -- but if its been like that for a long time, I would not really worry about it too much. Checking all pulleys for correct alignment is not a trivial task, it takes pretty good mensuration technique and an array of specialized tools. Even a small azimuth error can move the belt quite a but it can be very hard to detect such minor misalignments.

I say you're good to go, watch it over time, and see if it gets worse-- I presume you checked all pulley bearings/ etc for play when you changed the belt.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say you're good to go, watch it over time, and see if it gets worse-- I presume you checked all pulley bearings/ etc for play when you changed the belt.
I did and nothing unusual. I guess the thing that concerns me a little is that while it always tracked off-center, it once wasn't all the way flush with the edge of the pulley like it has been for the last few years. So logically, whatever the root cause is, it would seem to have gotten a bit worse.

But I'm inclined to agree with you and think there's no eminent danger. I'd just like to know what's going on.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Mine has been doing the same for a long time. With the thermo-mechanical and with the Zat. IIRC.
Charles

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has been doing the same for a long time.
Thanks Charles, that's reassuring. I do now recall asking Dennis Black about this years ago and he indicated that as long as it wasn't tracking off the pulleys at all it wasn't a problem.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
I just installed a new timing belt and tensioner. The tensioner was not "new" per se, but a different (used) oil-fed one than I had been using previously. Note, I use the old-style tensioners but without a hydraulic feed.

While "age" was my primary reason for swapping in a new belt, I was also hoping to address another potential issue - the belt was tracking all the way to the outside edge of the pulleys. For as long as I can recall, the belt has always tracked towards the outer edge on my engine, but I noticed some time ago that it was right out flush with the outer edge of the pulleys.

Speed ahead - the job is done - idling in the driveway, the belt is tracking pretty much dead center. I go out for a spirited run, and sure enough, the belt is back to tracking on the outside edge again.

Here's a pic I took of the old belt before removing, but the new one is pretty much back to tracking in the same plane.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned?
Looks ok to me. No worries as long as it is not ridding off the edge.
Mine does the same

·
Registered
268 Posts
As long as it is staying true in that position, it should be fine. If you notice that it starts shifting around then something is amiss.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since no one has asked, I'm curious, why all the rust on the pulleys?
Can't say I ever gave that any thought. It's just some surface rust here and there - seems like something typical in the rust-belt, no?

Thanks for the feedback on the belt tracking. Time to go drive it like I stole it. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts