Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Thought Id post a few pics of my new strut going in on my series 2 33. For a while now my drivers side strut seized and had hardly any bounce. I managed to find a new one on eBay and this is the installation. I also took the liberty of fitting 16V QV front springs and having all the springs and accessories powder coated, rusty parts dont look so nice!
And yeah its going to get dirty in the new few days, but who cares, looks nice now!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm jealous.

My 2 front struts have virtually no play on them. They are from a 16v..

How do you just manage to find a new one on ebay??

It's so shiny...

·
Registered
222 Posts
What's the yellow halo in the last pic?

Series 3 16v shocks are not hard to find. Most manufacturers still stock them. Koni still sell inserts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Really???

My mechanic said they are rare as... :(

But then he did say I wouldn't be able to put a 16v in my sud easily

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The halo is my work light, its some sort of circa 1970's "modern" bedside lamp.

Apparently the 16V struts are still manufactured and are available. Our Spare Place here in adelaide has them. If I didnt stumble across the new strut on eBay I would have used 16V ones or gone for konis, but I just got lucky...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry I meant the second last picture. The yellow ring around the strut, near the lower spring pan. (Strangely enough there is a yellow halo in the last picture, I just noticed it!)

Lenus, you shouldn't have too much difficulty trying to fiind a series 3 16v strut. Now alfasud struts, that's another story :eek:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh right, the halo thing is the strut bearing. The 1.7 33's (I could be wrong) got the yellow plastic bearing in place of the needle bearing the 1.5's got. Also a common part to the 164. THought I would renew them as they make low speed manouvering so much smoother. The old ones were worn out and the grease was long gone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very nice. Where did you get the black protective tubing that goes around the ends of the springs? I need to replace these on mine. Cheers.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a little trick that came to me one day when I was doing some electrical work, its 16mm heat shrink. comes in all sorts of colours and fits nice and snug to the spring so water and grit wont get in and is rather strong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
oh right, the halo thing is the strut bearing. The 1.7 33's (I could be wrong) got the yellow plastic bearing in place of the needle bearing the 1.5's got. Also a common part to the 164. THought I would renew them as they make low speed manouvering so much smoother. The old ones were worn out and the grease was long gone.
Hmmm, sound good, will the yellow plastic bearings work on a sud strut? The sud had those horrible steel roller bearings as well.

Do the yellow bearings need to be greased and use seals like the metal ones do?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The yellow bearings come pre-greased, and not too badly priced at $30 a corner. The yellow plastic part is more of a cover for the bearing inside I think, and is packed with grease. Its doesn't appear to have a tight seal around it so water may be able to make its way in a little bit unfortunately.

Im not sure if they will fit the sud struts, I think the strut has to be made specifically to accept the bearing and the lower plate that the spring mates too has a specific shape that accepts the tapered top of the yellow bearing. I have not put the sud and 33 parts next to each other to have a look unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The 1.7 33's (I could be wrong) got the yellow plastic bearing in place of the needle bearing the 1.5's got
Series 2 and on, 1.5 & 1.7. The struts aren't interchangeable with the early style ones directly, but you can get the whole strut assembly to work (as I have with my early Koni's with steel bearings).

Is there any difference between the S2 struts & the 16V though? That I hadn't investigated

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 16v struts had bearings in the rubber plate at the top, where the assembly bolts into the car.

Earlier S1 and S2 (I think) 33s had the yellow plastic bearings which are the same as the ones used on 164s.

Chris

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Different spring rate as well. If I remember correctly the SIII have a smaller diameter spring, but with more coils, than those of earlier cars.
Indeed Hugh. The 16V springs I fitted to my series 2 make the ride quite a lot smoother than the original ones, a little bit less crashy, but still firm for fast cornering!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts