Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

Another question - this time, I'm installing a JVC stereo and seat warmers on my 1978 Spider. Does anyone know where the accessory terminal is located to wire the stereo and warmers into? I want it to be switched on by the ignition. This time around, Reed took a break (concussion) so I'm pounding MY head against the wall now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Accessory terminal??? Surely you're joking, right?

Sorry, but there's no accessory terminal on an Alfa of that vintage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow

thanks for making a newbie feel welcome on this board - anyone else like to take a potshot at me while i'm still up?

now on a serious note, no, I wasn't kidding - it's my first Alfa and I'm restoring it from the ground up and what's a better way to learn than DIY?

·
Registered
532 Posts
thanks for making a newbie feel welcome on this board - anyone else like to take a potshot at me while i'm still up?

now on a serious note, no, I wasn't kidding - it's my first Alfa and I'm restoring it from the ground up and what's a better way to learn than DIY?
Oh come on - I was joking, really :) My '87 Spider doesn't even have an accessory position on the ignition, and I'm not even sure in my "new" '92 does, either. It's just one of those Alfa features.

I actually like having the radio hot all the time, so I can listen when I'm working on the car. Just don't forget to turn it off, or hook up your battery charger for those longer jobs.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
For DeanO and Ho-Q

Welcome to the Alfabb Ho man. Sounds like you are in for some learning but don't fret too much as its an easy car to figure out. Dean is right...everything is hot in a 78.

And to Dean....your 92 does have an accessory position. Just turn the ignition switch back to off. You'll notice the radio will remained powered until you actually remove the key from the switch.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
HO,

A switched wire should be easy to find. Just get a test light and probe the fuse block. With the ign switch off some of the fuses will be hot and with the igh switch on additional fuses will be hot. Chances are you will need both a hot and a switched circuit for the radio.

The seat warmer is another issue. How many amps does it require? You may have to find a large hot wire and then wire in a relay to the switched circuit. That way the relay can carry the high am load of the heater. You may not want the ign switch to carry all of the current required for the seat warmer. I would advise having the relay do the switching for the ign switch.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Yesterday the speed shop fabricated and mounted some shields to keep the exhaust heat from my feet and legs.

This a.m. I bought some reflective and insulating stuff to install under the matts.

And Ho-Q wants to install a seat warmer:)--where do you live?:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll be installing seat heaters when I re-upholster my Spider. It'll be great on those clear but cold days in late October to March here in Ottawa.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Seat heaters are a terrific idea! Nothing beats al fresco driving in chilly weather with the heater cranked up and seat heaters on (not that I have experienced the latter in a Spider).

Is the lighter switched? I don't know and I don't know what amperage it is, but that's the first thing that comes to mind for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all your advice!

Geezer:
it's 10 amps continuous current and it's currently being installed since the seats are being reupholstered.

Subtle:
Southern Cal. The seat warmers are ideal when driving through the cold desert at night with the top down.

Tom:
it's actually Noonak's brother, and he threw in a partridge in a pear tree for free :)

Hooligan:
I'll definitely check to see if the lighter's switched or not - we're checking the electricals right now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Better get yourself a larger alternator. One from an S4 Spider or 3L Milano will bolt right on, and provide about twice the amperage (65-70A). They have an internal VR, too. No seat heaters in my '74, but bolting on that big alternator makes a world of difference. I can actually use the headlights, wipers, and defroster fan all at once, which is convenient her in FL during sudden Summer thunderstorms.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Almost forgot, the lighter's not switched with the ignition key. ONLY the ignition and fuel pump are on that car. Do yourself a big favor, wire those seat warmers on their own fused circuit, with a relay. Don't pull current from any of the Spider's other circuits, as most of them are already marginal to begin with. These are things you don't want to discover the hard way.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Nah - it's just that once you get to know these cars you'll realize that it would have never crossed the minds of the Alfa engineers that someone might want to wire a bunch of extra stuff into their perfect-in-every-way creation! Let alone to engineer something to make that convenient. Looking for something like an "accessory terminal" on these cars will draw a chuckle every time - heck, the electrical system was barely adequate as it was for just standard equipment!

If I were you I'd run the seats directly off the battery with a relay attached to switched power to control them. Put your switch on the control-side of the relay as well to keep the power load off of it.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Gang,

I know this was from a wjile back but Ho-Q, were you successful with the seat heaters? I'm thinking about diving into the world of Spiders but I love my seat heaters and really want to bring them with me :)

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts