Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just bought a replacement starter, Bosch, through a local auto electric company. I gave them the old unit to compare, it was completely worn out and no longer even turning. They ordered the replacement for me, and I just put it in, being careful with the middle shoulder bolt. It worked really well for a week or two but today starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel.

Any suggestions for what to do next?

Car is alfa spider 1974, spica to weber conversion.

Thanks

TS

·
Richard Jemison
7,781 Posts
Bad starter

The starter pinion is stuck and not releasing to engage the starter. (did you
lube it?)
Best to just pull it and let them replace it. You might pull it off and clean and free up the engagement gear and see if that resolves it.

If it was a rebuild from a "aftermarket bulk supplier" problems such as this are not an uncommon.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Richard
Thanks for the suggestion. I just pulled the starter, and see that there are a scattering of fine metal shards around the pinion gear. I felt a litle sick when I saw these, fearing that the ring gear might be screwed...

The starter does have 9 teeth, and that seems to be the right number but i will cross reference to make sure, I have the serial number of the unit.

Perhaps the shards are due to limited damage because of incomplete engagement of the pinion with the ring gear, and I will get away without needing to replace the ring gear..that would be a terrible outcome.

Do you think the shards are the death knell for the ring gear?

Thanks again for any thoughts

TS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts