Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm going to replace the springs on my 91, but I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the Performance Springs from Vickauto.com?

They sell a performance spring set for $220. Seems like a good deal and good springs, but do you guys have any experience or would recommend different ones? Here's the link to the springs.. http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5801.html

They say "complete spring set" in the text but I was wondering if you'd happen to know if this really is a complete set of 4 -- I'll call and ask tomorrow if noone knows but I'm more or less curious if these are any good...

they sell the regular front pair for 229 (http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5820.html ) and rear for 118 (http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5821.html) so it seemed a bit odd, but on their other performance springs it also says complete set of four (http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5324.html) so I think the others must be as well -- as long as they work on a 91 -- i don't see why not.

After reading here about looking at my shocks, I'm planning on just keeping the stock shocks for now.. they seem fine still and according to the stuff written here about them and how good they are I can't see it being worth it to put in Konis or Bilstein (sp?) for my street driving needs.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Premium Member
13,063 Posts
I had Vick Auto's red springs on my last GTV and I was very happy with them. I suspect that IAP's are from the same manufacturer.
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Registered
717 Posts
msiert said:
... Ward and Dean springs have these rates but I don't know if they are still in business? Murray
While I can't say for sure if Alan is still making springs or has an inventory of them, but I picked up my springs from him just over a year ago.

Has anybody had more recent contact with Alan?

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Jeff,

The key to spring performance is the spring rate (stiffness). I suspect the $220 set may be softer than the two individual front & rear sets. and, the last set you have a link for is for FIAT Spiders. Vick should know the different spring rates.

I also have a '91 Spider. It's kinda wallowy so I would like to make the car slightly stiffer, but still retain a fairly comfortable street ride. I have a '76 Spider used for autocross, and the 800 lb front springs are plenty stiff. I can't imagine an all purpose street driver with 1200 or 1300 lb front springs.

Last year, Alfa Ricambi advertised two different spring rate sets in the Alfa Owner. You might want to contact them.

Please keep us posted with your findings and progress.

Dark_Soul said:
Hey guys, i'm going to replace the springs on my 91, but I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the Performance Springs from Vickauto.com?

They sell a performance spring set for $220. Seems like a good deal and good springs, but do you guys have any experience or would recommend different ones? Here's the link to the springs.. http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5801.html

They say "complete spring set" in the text but I was wondering if you'd happen to know if this really is a complete set of 4 -- I'll call and ask tomorrow if noone knows but I'm more or less curious if these are any good...

they sell the regular front pair for 229 (http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5820.html ) and rear for 118 (http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5821.html) so it seemed a bit odd, but on their other performance springs it also says complete set of four (http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/62-5324.html) so I think the others must be as well -- as long as they work on a 91 -- i don't see why not.

After reading here about looking at my shocks, I'm planning on just keeping the stock shocks for now.. they seem fine still and according to the stuff written here about them and how good they are I can't see it being worth it to put in Konis or Bilstein (sp?) for my street driving needs.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may just get the set from International Auto... and the koni yellows or the bilstein shocks.. btw, are the shocks sold in pairs? I'd guess that they would be but it's kind of unclear on the site..

What do you guys think? any advice? I want to order soon, but I just want to make sure I make the best decision..

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have several set of rear Bilsteins I'd love to get rid of. Two sets I purchased new and installed on cars for a while, one set came on a car I ended up with. All are now lying under the work bench because they are way too hard/stiff for anything I do with any of my cars. My spider and Jr Z have stock Alfa shocks in the rear, the 2 GTVs have red Koni's set at about 1/3 from full soft.

I like Bilsteins on the front of cars (105/115 cars) with really stiff front springs, but not on cars with stock front springs.

And if anyone wants to contact Alan Ward (of Ward and Dean fame) he lives in Henderson, NV. I believe his phone number is 702-898-1270. A couple weekends ago, at Spring Mt, I saw a very nice front sway bar that he had just made. I think it was headed to Santo's shop in Northridge.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Bruce Colby said:
I have several set of rear Bilsteins I'd love to get rid of. Two sets I purchased new and installed on cars for a while, one set came on a car I ended up with. All are now lying under the work bench because they are way too hard/stiff for anything I do with any of my cars....
FWIW you can get the Bilsteins revalved - the cost is about $50 per shock which does add up. However, you can give them your cars specs and Bilstein will custom valve for application and weight of your car. BTW, they used to offer them in two different settings from the factory.

I have done this on two sets and they work very nice on stock as well slightly stiffer springs (about 600# in the front) that way. I prefer them to Konis except on the track where the adjustability of the Konis is useful. On a street driven car I much prefer the revalved Bilsteins though. While they are just a little bit jiggly at low speed they feel really smooth at even slightly higher speeds over all kinds of road irregularities. BTW, Spax has excellent ride and dampening plus adjustability for the track. When new it's the best feeling shock and it does not raise ride height like the Bilstein. However, the smoothness disappears with age more quickly than the competitors. That is quality and longevity are definitely not on par with Konis or Bilsteins.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm, wow. i'm glad this thread grabbed such attention. Thanks for the info.

So, are the koni yellow and reds adjustable or just the reds? I mostly just drive street and normal conditions, but wouldn't mind getting out on the track... not that it'll happen anytime soon... Sounds like the red konis and the red springs are prolly the way to go. That'll look nice too -- as if anyone would notice. heh

·
Registered
19 Posts
What about Gabriel shocks...Caribou Imports advertises them at a very reasonable price. Would these shocks be OK for just average street driving, not competitive driving?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Gary T said:
What about Gabriel shocks...Caribou Imports advertises them at a very reasonable price. Would these shocks be OK for just average street driving, not competitive driving?
Caribou? Search this site before sending them your hard earned money, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have gabriel shocks from Calibou on my '91, and I think they are great shocks as long as you don't race or autocross. The purchase of the shocks did go fine w/o any issue too. HOWEVER, I ordered blue upholstery for my mom's '84 after that and have not received the item after 11 months:eek: . It's alright for me since he has not charged me for the upholstery either:p . No damage here!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Caribou

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just sent some $$$ to Caribou and of course have not heard a thing back from them and can't reach via phone.

Does anyone live near 23151-A3 Alalde Drive, Laguna Hills, CA 92653 who can check and see if they are still in business? BTW, let me know if there is a better spot on the board for this type of inquiry. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts