Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed springs on my 78 Spider with a Performance set I got from Vick Autosport. They are supposed to lower ~1". The front passenger side was perfect. The driver side stayed high. The rears lowered ~1.5". I pulled the driver side back out and reseated. It is still high. Vick says there is no direction or sides to the springs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The springs are all the same heights....please take notice that there are two depths of spring pans. The drivers side is shallow, while the passenger side is deeper. Are you measuring heights while no one is siting on drivers seat?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it apart again and there are no shims. This corner is riding at stock vs the -1" on the other 3 whether I an in it or not. Adding a 250lb driver lowers it just ~1/4".

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Reread GTA ALFA's post - make sure the spring pans are on the correct side - shallow pan=drivers side
deep pan=passenger side

Shims are ( sometimes ) used to correct for other issues. If you don't have a deep/shallow pan combo, then someone has been there before you and put two of the same on..

jeff

·
Registered
38 Posts
The same thing has happened to me. I changed the springs individually, so there was no chance of mixing up the pans, but still the passenger side is quite a few centimeters higher than the passenger side. Just this weekend I put a shim under the left rear spring, but it's too soon to tell if it will balance out.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
To help you understand:

Alfa sets up the stock suspension to get the best performance with just the driver - the most common choice. Because the cars are light, one person makes a significant difference in ride height, especially on the older 105's, which are lighter (less 'stuff' added) than most later alfas.

To do this, they made two front spring pans, one 10 to 15 mm deeper than the other. Empty, this makes the car sit a little ****eyed. (BTW this is why the alignment proceedure specifies loading sandbags in the car.) It should be close to level with the driver in the car.

Some cars had the same spring pans on both sides (usually the deep ones) with spacers under the driver's side spring.

When you change to the aftermarket 'sport' springs, you get much stiffer springs, so this 'built in' adjustment is out of whack. Putting a deep pan on both sides will get you level (empty), but you still are a bit out of kilter with a driver. I ended up with two deep pans AND a 1/4 inch spacer on the driver's side to get it right.

Made the spacer from a scrap of 1/4 inch aluminum abou 6 inches. Cut a washer shape to fit the spring pan.

R

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the explanation

You have given the background for all I have discovered in the last week. I have a deep pan on order. I should be back on the level by the weekend. Thx for the help. --B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts