Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

New Alfa owner of a '89 Graduate. Great car, got a couple of initial ?'s, maybe someone can point me to a forum or FAQ list. Sorry if I'm posting to wrong forum here.

1.) My car idles rough and hesitates at stops. Sometimes it seems like it will almost stop running because of too low RPM's, even after it is up to operating temp.
Could this be related to an idle adjustment and/or compression issue?

2.) Have a creaking noise in the front right suspension. Might be that the bushings are in need of lubrication? Has anyone lubbed up bushings before or does this sound more like a shock absorber issue?

TIA,
Steve

·
Administrator
16,413 Posts
You are in the right section of the forum.

If you go up to the "Anything about Alfa Romeo's", you'll find a thread there about 'Suppliers" - a useful list of new & used parts suppliers. There is also an "Advice to New Owners" post.

1) I doubt that the rough idle is poor compression. Here's a link to Greg Gordon's L-Jetronic tune-up & trouble shooting page. It is about the Alfa GTV6 but the info still applies. I am working on a similar page for our Spiders (with Greg's blessing). I will post the link RealSoonNow...

Note that Greg's advice is that electircal grounds and intake air leaks are typically 90% of the problems with our cars running. So make sure you check those areas first. Next, read what he says about the AAV. A faulty AAV can cause poor idle. There is an idle speed adjustment - well explained in the link above. Below is a picture of the Spider's idle adjustment.

2) I think you'll have to get your ear close while a trusted helper bounces the front suspension to track down the squeak. Be careful - don't get your head squashed!

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
You have the same issues I had when I got my 87 spider. Unfortunately my engine problems was a burned valve, only a preesure check can tell.

My car had been sitting for a long time and the lower A arm pivot point (for lak of better description) were rusty. renove the cover cups at each end, just twist gently and push out, this will uncoder the bolts, hopefully there will be some grease left in there, squirt a few frops of penetrating oil and drive a bit, when the noise goes away add more oil and cover wuth grease.

Clean the oil/vapor separator and a check all of the rubber air hoses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts