Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.
I'm writing you from Prague (Czech Republic) so sorry my english :eek:.
I recently purchased Alfa Spider 1600, 1988. I don't understand cars at all but I just love the design and this car was my dream since I was a kid.

I bought the car in Germany and than found out that the engine has still Carb fuel system alhough the car is from 1988 ?

I have read many threads of this forum but still i'd like to ask you for a couple of question..

1. Would you recommend me some engine upgrades you have experience with?

2. Does it make sence to think about the carb conversion to electric fuel injecton (i know there are some threads in this forum about it but I still don't have a clear answer).

I'd like keep this beautiful car and I'm ready to spend some more money on it. But as i said I don't understand the cars much so if you have any tips and tricks how to improve my type of engine, please share it with me.

Thank you very much

Michal

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Welcome, Michal.

I don't know if fuel injection would be a worth while investment. As far as I know EFI was only put on 2L cars (to the USA for sure) so I don't know how easy it would be to put it on yout 1.6L engine.

In my opinion the best 'upgrades' are to get all systems up to good working order. 20 year old suspension bushings & steering will likely be worn and loose. Renewing those will 'upgrade' the handling to like new (which is quite good). New fluids all around (engine/trans/differential/coolant/brake & clutch) will help all those components work as best they can, too.

Once it is all in good mechanical shape work on the appearance items and you'll end up with a nice nearly 'restored' car that you can enjoy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello Michal. I can't help you with your questions, partly because I put a different engine in my S4. But I do want to say that Prague is my favorite city of all time. I was there last fall, and I like it better than even Paris. Both sides of the Vltava are different and both are wonderful. Nastravi! -Steve

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
if it is working well and not burning oil or anything I would leave it alone. upgrade cost a lot.
If the MPG is real bad EFI will help. If the motor is worn out you might want to get a 2L
or better yet a 2L ts.
A 2L is the cheapest power upgrade. There is also the turbo version that was in the 75.
buy the book "THE ALFA ROMEO DOCH ENGINE HIGH-PERFORMANCE MANUAL" by Jim Kartalamakis that will help in what you can do.
But what ever you do it is going to cost. And you if have some one else do the work it is going to cost even more..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
thank you very much for quick answers.
I already ordered a plenty of new parts from England classicalfa.com (trailing arm bushes, steering idler, filters etc...)

Concerning the carbureted engine to EFI converision:

I was thinking about SDS EM4-D. There are some threads at this forum about conversion from spider 2l l-Jet engine to new EFI. But since my 1.6 carb engine is not equipped with EFI hardware such as injectors and a high pressure pump I need those items in addition to SDS to convert to EFI:
Can an intake manifold from spider 2l l-jet engine be bolted on my 1.6l carb engine?

Thanks, this BB is really great (I spend days here)
Michal

to ferrari328gt>> I'm glad you enjoyed Prague ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Carbs

Hi There,

I have both an injected 84 spider and a carb 88. If you have carbs, keep them they are great. You will use lots of fuel, but it is worth it! If you have carbs and it is original, it may be a quadrifoglio. However, did not know they came in a 1.6L - perhaps it is a 2L...?

Thanks for the photo of the engine compartment, it looks great. Lets see the whole car?

Best,

Robert

·
Registered
106 Posts
Original?

I may not be up to speed on all spiders, mine is a '79. From that photo i would think its not original since I see the battery under the hood. My engine compartment uses that space for an air pump which would not allow a battery in that location.
I have done minimal research on stand alone FI conversion for mine and it doesn't look easy or cheap in any configuration.
I was thinking more of a Cobalt SS engine swap if my goal is performance and fuel economy. That of course increases cost and time for adaption/modification of drivetrain.
I think I will be sticking to a weber carb conversion from my current SPICA, which just never seems to stay reliable.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I may not be up to speed on all spiders, mine is a '79. From that photo i would think its not original since I see the battery under the hood.
Please keep in mind that Michael's Spider is a European version model 115.35. Your 79 is a USA version model 11541. Different engines, different fuel systems and numerous other differences yet both are original.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My error!

Very true and i realized that might be, right after clicking the submit button :eek:. I figured if that was the case, someone with better overall knowledge would correct my error. Thank you :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Welcome to the BB..............Nice Alfa!

If your going go to EFI you will need sensors and the best time to find a home on/in the engine is during a rebuild. If I was you I would keep the carbs and put your money in the suspension, interior and body. You'll find that you will burn though enough money just for that.

I went to an aftermarket EFI computer and Fuel injected ITB's. I love the results but I started with a FI model so my engine already had the ports for most of the sensors.

·
Premium Member
13,714 Posts
Keep the carbs. They are easy to maintain and troubleshoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts