Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just tried to add a picture to 'my garage' but I don't have permission to do so? My membership is paid up, if that's relevant.

Also I am a 'browser reader' rather than a specific topic reader. Before, I could look at all the topics and see at a glance if there were any new interesting threads. Now I must pick a topic by title only and the open it to see if there are any interesting things to read. Then I have to back out and pick another topic by title only and see if there is anything there. Yeah, I know there is a 'new posts' feature but this is not the same thing. The site seems much less inviting in this format. If you are a single topic person (say you read ONLY '66 Spider and up') then it's OK otherwise it's like having to open every drawer in a filing cabinet to see what's in there.

I use an iPad FWIW

·
Administrator
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Just tried to add a picture to 'my garage' but I don't have permission to do so? My membership is paid up, if that's relevant.

Also I am a 'browser reader' rather than a specific topic reader. Before, I could look at all the topics and see at a glance if there were any new interesting threads. Now I must pick a topic by title only and the open it to see if there are any interesting things to read. Then I have to back out and pick another topic by title only and see if there is anything there. Yeah, I know there is a 'new posts' feature but this is not the same thing. The site seems much less inviting in this format. If you are a single topic person (say you read ONLY '66 Spider and up') then it's OK otherwise it's like having to open every drawer in a filing cabinet to see what's in there.

I use an iPad FWIW
I have a ticket open for some users not being able to access garages. Let me bump it and get a fix for ya.

Jeff

EDIT - You guys should be able to access garages now.

I will work on the rest of these issues today.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Having been a member of this forum since the beginning, I fell in love with the format, the layout, the look, the quirks and the beauty in the simplicity of this site and looked forward to visiting it EVERY day.
It is (was) one of the few Automotive sites that truly was different, just like our cars.

I'm not saying this major change (none needed for 12 years) is not gong to work and make this site even better. I'm just not sure a corporation the size of this one, with no real connection or passion to our marque, will be able to understand the value of "uniqueness" and the passion we have for our cars.
Time will tell, but for now this new"formula" makes this site look just like the Mazda, Nissan, Ford, BMW etc. sites that I visit and also seems to be exclusive rather than inclusive. It appears to leave many of us cold.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a labor of love from one person with a passion and Simon got it right from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Having been a member of this forum since the beginning, I fell in love with the format, the layout, the look, the quirks and the beauty in the simplicity of this site and looked forward to visiting it EVERY day.
It is (was) one of the few Automotive sites that truly was different, just like our cars.

I'm not saying this major change (none needed for 12 years) is not gong to work and make this site even better. I'm just not sure a corporation the size of this one, with no real connection or passion to our marque, will be able to understand the value of "uniqueness" and the passion we have for our cars.
Time will tell, but for now this new"formula" makes this site look just like the Mazda, Nissan, Ford, BMW etc. sites that I visit and also seems to be exclusive rather than inclusive. It appears to leave many of us cold.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a labor of love from one person with a passion and Simon got it right from the beginning.
Bill, well said for all of us that liked Simon's design and appreciated his dedication to the marque and the upkeep of the bb. Simon was not a corporation and as I said in the beginning, a corporate takeover of the site would never be the same; and it has not been. Autoguide has proven themselves true to the prediction and driven many long-time Alfisti away.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You asked for feedback, so here's some, in response to what seem to be the list of reasons for making these changes (from post #1 in this thread):

1) The site should be significantly faster.

Good, but not sure if I noticed. I did notice that editing typed text in the message reply box is much slower than before, quite painful.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

Mobile version of this site before and after is terrible. Way too many clicks required to do anything.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

Doesn't seem much different and I abandoned it long ago anyway, given that content there rarely changed, if ever.

4) Garages will be featured on the site

Not something I'm interested in.

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

Absolutely not interested in this. Why is this of any value anyway?

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Probably will hide it as it's kinda redundant.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

Not really sure what this is; will have to read more about it. If it's a way to track what other users are posting or when you've been quoted in another thread, why is this a new feature? The old style allowed this already, no?

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

Haven't tried this yet, but anything to improve the old awkward and non-intuitive way to upload photos would be an improvement

Overall it seems like this was a lot of work to fix what wasn't really broken.

·
Administrator
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I was. I'm on desktop now. ... you're not giving me a lot of options here.

Question 1: why do I need to link to social media? Couldn't we just move this whole thing to facebook and get rid of this intermediate step?

Question 2: Why the font change? The blockish look is cold, unfriendly, and harder for me to read.

One quick comment. The site response speed is good but that was never really a problem for me since I run ABP and that kills off the ad loads anyway.
1. The social media links are to use your login from there to post to the site if you are a new member. Facebook could not handle any of the options or the amount of data we have here.

2. It is our new standard format across the network. You can make some styling changes here:
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Jeff

·
Registered
158 Posts
After using the new format for a few days I find that it's OK when used on my desktop computer (although more wasteful of screen space than the old version). I do like the drag and drop feature for attachments, however. I really didn't have any complaints about the old format, so, while I appreciate the attempt to spruce up the look of the BBS, it's not really any easier to use on a desktop computer other than the method of adding attachments.

The mobile version of the new BBS remains another story, however. It's just terrible. Poor navigation, poor organization…and just awful to look at and to use. It's current iteration may be a bit less buggy than the trial mobile version that was up for the past few months (which nearly always seemed to hang when I tried to switch to the old desktop version) but is still unacceptably confusing and slow, even when using wi-fi. But now, since the new desktop version doesn't seem to scale correctly on a small screen and is virtually unusable on a smart phone, I've even lost that option. I'm now stuck with the mobile version which I hate, if I'm away from my desk.

I am seriously thinking of deleting the ALFABBS bookmark from my iPhone. Frankly, the totality of the changes to the website are to me, clearly negative.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

I'm not saying this major change is not gong to work and make this site even better. I'm just not sure a corporation the size of this one, with no real connection or passion to our marque, will be able to understand the value of "uniqueness" and the passion we have for our cars.
I've been here a long time as well.

I feel all of you guys are confusing the graphic layout and colors of banners on a website with the content of the forum. The real value of this place is not how the page colors look, it's the incredible vault of combined knowledge and experience of all you people here. I am always amazed at the expertise available here if you read the right threads and ask the right people. ANYTHING Alfa can be found out, researched, discussed, and solved. Obscure cars and parts located. Compared to the old days where we had 3 or 4 paper catalogs from Centerline and maybe APE's number in our book? Or an Alfa email list serve? Remember those days? This place has become an enormous library of invaluable experience, and it gets better over time.

An ideal forum owner provides a clean simple format which is then either filled with knowledgable, enthusiastic users, or it's a dusty ghost town. I've seen some Volvo sites and Land Rover sites and said ah ha, I can learn something here - and then found that the last post was a month ago. Crickets.

So, get over the idea that it has to look like it did 10 years ago. The design world and tastes change over time. Look at news sites, your phone, TV, magazines - the whole world is now graphics and visuals. In any design endeavor, there is nice work and there is crap. As a design person, my opinion is that this is simple and clean, easy to read, bright, crisp, easy to navigate (all the same tools are there, just look), and besides faster to load.

Every time I've seen a forum format change, the first reaction is WUT? Where IS everything, what has happened to my tiny world?!

Just use it a while and it will be just as familiar and easy. The people are still here. It's the Alfa People that make this place, and it's a great place.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
BTW, I just toggled back and forth to Legacy or whatever it's called. Not that much different really.

If you like, you can slide your window narrower on your screen in the new format, and it squeezes it together and looks pretty much like the old one.

Let's talk about cars again...

·
Administrator
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
After using the new format for a few days I find that it's OK when used on my desktop computer (although more wasteful of screen space than the old version). I do like the drag and drop feature for attachments, however. I really didn't have any complaints about the old format, so, while I appreciate the attempt to spruce up the look of the BBS, it's not really any easier to use on a desktop computer other than the method of adding attachments.

The mobile version of the new BBS remains another story, however. It's just terrible. Poor navigation, poor organization…and just awful to look at and to use. It's current iteration may be a bit less buggy than the trial mobile version that was up for the past few months (which nearly always seemed to hang when I tried to switch to the old desktop version) but is still unacceptably confusing and slow, even when using wi-fi. But now, since the new desktop version doesn't seem to scale correctly on a small screen and is virtually unusable on a smart phone, I've even lost that option. I'm now stuck with the mobile version which I hate, if I'm away from my desk.

I am seriously thinking of deleting the ALFABBS bookmark from my iPhone. Frankly, the totality of the changes to the website are to me, clearly negative.
FYI - you can opt out of the new mobile look by sliding out the side menu and choosing "Exit Enhanced View"

Jeff

·
Registered
158 Posts
FYI - you can opt out of the new mobile look by sliding out the side menu and choosing "Exit Enhanced View"

Jeff
Yes, I see. Apparently there are THREE versions of the web site display that can be used on a mobile device: the "enhanced mobile view" which I find absolutely horrible; a list view mobile version that you can only get to by clicking on "Exit Enhanced View" and filling out one of the "reason for changing" choices (it's still buggy, BTW); and the "Full Version" that is found at the bottom of screens and attempts to load the desktop view on a mobile phone but is now unusable because it doesn't scale properly.

The only version that is remotely useable to me on my iPhone is the list view. But I am annoyed at all of the steps and frozen screen it takes to get there. The default (enhanced) version is completely unacceptable.

You want feedback? Dump the "enhanced mobile view" completely. Virtually ALL of the comments on it in threads on this forum are negative. I can live with the other changes and more obtrusive ads they bring along for the ride if I have to.

·
Administrator
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You asked for feedback, so here's some, in response to what seem to be the list of reasons for making these changes (from post #1 in this thread):

1) The site should be significantly faster.

Good, but not sure if I noticed. I did notice that editing typed text in the message reply box is much slower than before, quite painful.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

Mobile version of this site before and after is terrible. Way too many clicks required to do anything.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

Doesn't seem much different and I abandoned it long ago anyway, given that content there rarely changed, if ever.

4) Garages will be featured on the site

Not something I'm interested in.

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

Absolutely not interested in this. Why is this of any value anyway?

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Probably will hide it as it's kinda redundant.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

Not really sure what this is; will have to read more about it. If it's a way to track what other users are posting or when you've been quoted in another thread, why is this a new feature? The old style allowed this already, no?

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

Haven't tried this yet, but anything to improve the old awkward and non-intuitive way to upload photos would be an improvement

Overall it seems like this was a lot of work to fix what wasn't really broken.
Thanks for the info, I will just touch on your reply.

1. Try and F5 Refresh or just clear cache, it should speed up. They are also working on some back end fixes so performance should get better.

2. You can exit the enhanced mobile view form the slide out to use the older versions

3. I have updated articles on the homepage and now mods and admins can add new articles to the site as they see them.

4. Understood

5. This helps new users register to use the site with their social media log ins and verifies that they are not spam. Less barriers so a new real interested member to post.

6. 10-4.

7. You can mention somebody anywhere in a the forums example: @Uaglio and they will get an notification. Also the notices can be adjusted in the user CP

8. Yes - Drag and Drop is one of my new favs, so much easier to upload images.

*This is a facelift for all our network of sites, it provides more security, it is a more reliable platform, and keeps us up to date with the current web trends.

Jeff

·
Administrator
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Yes, I see. Apparently there are THREE versions of the web site display that can be used on a mobile device: the "enhanced mobile view" which I find absolutely horrible; a list view mobile version that you can only get to by clicking on "Exit Enhanced View" and filling out one of the "reason for changing" choices (it's still buggy, BTW); and the "Full Version" that is found at the bottom of screens and attempts to load the desktop view on a mobile phone but is now unusable because it doesn't scale properly.

The only version that is remotely useable to me on my iPhone is the list view. But I am annoyed at all of the steps and frozen screen it takes to get there. The default (enhanced) version is completely unacceptable.

You want feedback? Dump the "enhanced mobile view" completely. Virtually ALL of the comments on it in threads on this forum are negative. I can live with the other changes and more obtrusive ads they bring along for the ride if I have to.
Thanks, I will share with the team.

However the "enhanced view" will be sticking around but should be improving.

Jeff

·
Administrator
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #119

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
I'll give this a go but I'm not liking the brightness of this new version of the BB.

I also don't need to 'like' a post or be mentioned, tagged or quoted.

I don't post much but have enjoyed reading the tech knowledge on here. :) thank you!

This looks cheap to me, sorry but that's what I feel. I'm sure the forum speed has improved but I miss the richness of the old site's look.

Like I said, I'll give this a chance.

101 - 120 of 489 Posts