Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got the seats redone and I thought Id share some pics with you.
I had these nasty seat covers on them before because the vinyl was completely gone so I had the foams redone, the seat brackets fixed due to rust and the bottom seat pans fixed due to rust as well. I also had headrests made and I think the vinyl turned out well! Whaddya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
They look great!

I'm also going to need to restore seats for my '74 spider

I plan to add shoulder belts. Should I try to modify the original seats, or use some later S3 seats?

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can likely just find a set of belt guides and bolt them to the frames. When you've got the upholstery off you'll either need some nuts welded to the inside of the frame, or perhaps use RivNuts of the appropriate size.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
they look fabulous!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What to do...

Those seats look outstanding. What are my options with what I have? the foam is still decent but the leather is toast! my plan was to just wait until i found an orignal set of dark blue seats off an 82 veloce on this forum... new seat options only come in black or tan and to get them reuhpolstered would cost me a heap load of $$$.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cloth?

I would have them redone using Blue Cloth.

Those seats look outstanding. What are my options with what I have? the foam is still decent but the leather is toast! my plan was to just wait until i found an orignal set of dark blue seats off an 82 veloce on this forum... new seat options only come in black or tan and to get them reuhpolstered would cost me a heap load of $$$.

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
I'm also going to need to restore seats for my '74 spider. I plan to add shoulder belts. Should I try to modify the original seats, or use some later S3 seats?
(I write this same answer about once a month)

When the shoulder harness is anchored below the level of the seatback, extends up through a bracket on the seat, and then goes back down to the attachment point near the driveshaft tunnel, the seat becomes a structural part of the restraint system. In a high G collision, there will be a tremendous downward force on that harness bracket attached to the seat frame. If the seat frame buckles under that force, your spine will get crushed.

Early spider seats were never designed to support these vertical loads. A seat frame compromised by metal fatigue and rust is even less likely to hold up. So yes, use some later S3 seats that were designed to function as a part of the seatbelt system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts