Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a new scuttle/bonnet seal from Classic Alfa, after fitting it the bonnet won't shut.
Before I do trial and error on the bonnet latch adjustment I thought Id ask if anyone has any tips or advice ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had the same issue with the same provider. Was not able to solve it with adjustments. Now I am driving without that seal, don't think thats a big downside

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems that replacement rubbers/seals can be fickle.........I'll perhaps find a modern alternative if fitting is not possible.

Thanks for coming back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looks like its time to poke a Bear with a stick again . Step fronts/Scalinos Don't have a rubber seal at the back .
Just a small flat seal at the front which is shown in the GT-GTV-GTV-GTC Manual

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Shane is correct.
I put one on my stepnose, tho, without trouble, in an effort to reduce engine bay aromas (hot oil smells, of course, ha!). It did make a bit of difference.
If you want to keep it there, you could try adjusting the bayonet/spring part of the bonnet catch (making it taller), so that it can again reach the spring steel catch parts in the bonnet section.
You’ll have to suck it and see about how flush the bonnet will sit with the cowl...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I bought mine from Cicognani ....and the hood (bonnet) closes without any issues. Post up a photo showing the shape of the seal at the end of the seal....perhaps we can solve your issue.
I would expect that to be the case as you have a flush fit 1750 GTV hood , but our friend has a step front !

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will send photos when at home this evening.
I ordered a replacement as there was one fitted to the car which is way past its best.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
That looks like the one I too originally ordered from CA and although the shape looks closer to the original one, I found that the legs of the seal that grips onto the vertical flange of the panel are too tall causing the seal to sit too high. The seal I ordered from Cicognani fits nicely .

IMG_4483.jpg

IMG_4486a.jpg

What is interesting is that it looks like the latest Cicognani offering for this seal has only one protruding lip (mine has two)...though the part number is still the same...which looks closer to the original shape.

GUARNIZIONE VANOMOTORE

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same experience. My old seal looks original, but is perished at the ends. The bonnet (hood) closes easily. The seal lays pretty flat. The new one from classic alfa sits higher and the bonnet cannot be closed. I put the old seal back on and moved on to other things. It wasn't clear how (if) the catch could be adjusted to allow the bonnet to close with the new seal in place.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
While a rear weatherstrip may not have been fit originally to step nose GTs, GTVs, and GTCs, it is shown in the GT Junior parts manual (part 105.44.54.270.02, on table 118, pg. 296) for a step nose bonnet and I did fit a Classic Alfa seal on my Junior. At first look I thought there was no way the hood (bonnet) would close with the seal in place, but after fitting the seal in place, I found that the hood would close properly. Only a small adjustment of the lock assembly was required. The hood was reluctant to latch the first couple of times, but after a winter storage and a year in use, everything fits as intended.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just installed the same seal from CA on my ‘69 GTV. Hood was difficult to close the first time, however I’ve noticed over the last month that the hood is becoming easier to close.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest I couldn't even force it to sit flush.......with plenty of weight it was still 5mm proud of the scuttle, I'm not convinced any amount of time will compress it enough. I think I'll source an aftermarket non alfa strip at one point and use the old one for now.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Completely useless and unnecessary seal, IMHO. It's just another place for water to gather and start eating into your bonnet/hood. I have never fitted one to my Sprint GT. I figure that letting a bit of air through the engine bay does no harm to the cooling, either ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts